1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL shortens draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Didn't see this anywhere.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8038bd59&template=without-video&confirm=true

And it's about time.

First round picks are 10 minutes, second round seven, third and beyond still at five. Only two rounds will take place on the first day now, which will start at 3p.m.

The NFL is also considering moving the Pro Bowl to the continental US and to a week before the Super Bowl (although no action has been taken on that).

2. pallister

pallister Guest

The Pro Bowl idea is ludicrous. Most years, the two SB teams have tons of players selected for the game. If this goes through, none of those players will play. Granted, lots of players selected never played anyway, but moving the game up eliminates much of the top talent right off the bat. Also, even more players than usual are gonna beg out of the game because there'd be no trip to Hawaii connected to it. Bad idea all around.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If they did that, who would coach? They're not going to get the conference championship games' losing coaches/players to turn around that quickly.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Yeah, but moving it from noon to 3 p.m. doesn't help all that much. I'm not a fan of the NFL and couldn't care less about the draft. I do care if it takes longer to get all the info for the newspaper and it takes longer to find out where the local people are picked.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's not being done to shorten the draft as much as it's being done for TV.

C'mon, we all know that.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

It can't last longer than 544 minutes. What's the problem?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Pro Bowl move is just about a done deal. If it happens they'll play it in the Super Bowl city on the off week after the conference championship games. The league wants the Super Bowl to be the final event of the season.

Finding coaches won't be a problem. Just take two of the first round losing staffs. Or the staffs of the two best teams not to make the playoffs. Right now those coaches work the Senior Bowl.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

True, I was just wondering what the process would be, since it would have to be changed from what it is now.

And holding it the week before in the Super Bowl city is an interesting idea.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Here's an idea: Do away with the Pro Bowl.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This depresses me because it means they won't consider shortening the time between the conference championship and the Super Bowl.

Do you really need two weeks?

But, at least the Pro Bowl would give us something to read about or write about, and it will pump things up for the Super Bowl city.

I wonder id they have checked with shat's going on in upcoming Super Bowl cities the week before.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It really doesn't make sense for the signature event of your season to be followed a week later by a a glorified flag football game.

Holding the Pro Bowl in the SB city would certainly guarantee more media coverage for the Pro Bowl. I would guess that very few papers send their NFL guys to Hawaii anymore.

12. Does anyone really care about the Pro Bowl?

Draft saved Draft deleted