1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Running Thread Week 4 -- Who is this Kevin Kolb guy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When we start this crap again in two weeks, will you add Washington and San Francisco to the list?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Both the 'Skins and 'Niners are both a field-goal+ better than the Lions and Jaguars, even after what happened last week.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I think the Raiders are cursed. They have one of the best kicker-punter tandems of all time, and they lose because they miss THREE field goals.

By the way, if Shane Lechler isn't a first-ballot Hall of Famer, there's no point having a Hall. Every time I catch a Raiders game he blows me away, same thing when he was at A&M. To put it another way, it's probably a winning argument to say that he's a better punter than Peyton Manning is a quarterback.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

SoCal, I can only tell you that at least one HoF Committee member, a good friend, once told me no kicker of any kind would be elected if he had anything to say about it. We were talking about Adam Vinatieri at the time. When they wise up and let punters in, Ray Guy has to go first anyway. But I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I agree Ray Guy belongs; if anyone can match up to Lechler, it would be Guy. I guess they'll always be too busy admitting the 72nd best running back of all time, or whatever, to worry about the great special teams players.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pretty much, though Lechler is better than Guy was. Lechler is averaging 47.4 yards per punt for his career, best in NFL history and a full yard better than the next guy, Glenn Dobbs. Guy's 42.4 career mark ties him for 68th along with such immortals as John Jett and Matt Turk.

I'm still not sure what that has to do with losing a game by missed field goals, though. Janikowski has a very strong leg, but he has never been the most consistent guy around.

I can't speak to the Raiders being cursed or not. I haven't seen them play since last season's victory over the Steelers, which was pretty damn lucky for the Raiders.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Maybe Peter King ought to worry about coming up with something original for the last part of his column (Things I think I think) instead of stealing something that's (at least) 35 years old.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To the ASPCA: Peter's cell phone number is...

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Mike won't do the firing. Dan takes care of that. Did he not get the memo?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still think the Philly fans who made the Williams Philly jerseys and drove to NYC just to boo McNabb on draft day is one of the most psychotic things I've ever seen non SEC fans do.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So Dez Bryant helped foot the bill for a $55,000 dinner for a bunch of the players. Fine. Dandy. Here's my question. What the hell is a freak time?

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/09/dez-bryant-buys-steak-dinner-f.html

"There were some things I did at Oklahoma State, like I bought the whole wide out crew dog tags and they had their name, their number and freak time on it. That's what our receiver coach had called us. I felt like that brought us together.

"I just want to do my little part here.''

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd love to see that final bill on that $55K meal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted