1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Running Thread - Week 3 with Mark Moseley and Jeff Reed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Sep 21, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I believe in second chances as well, like i said he deserves an opportunity to play, he served his time. I just don't get how non Eagle fans can cheer for pschycopath, arrogant douchebag. To each their own.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope you're right about the Niners. I'd feel a little better if they weren't humiliated by Seattle in Week 1, but that is the worst division in the NFL by a thousand miles and someone will have to make the playoffs.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In case you haven't noticed, I do have a bit of a fondness for the Steelers and the quarterback who helped them win a couple of Super Bowls, but I would still be absolutely thrilled if they could find a way to win without the big idiot.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I guess the difference here is that I don't root for the Eagles. In fact, I root against them. But at the same time, I also root for Vick to do well. I fully understand why people would root against him, and I don't spend time trying to convince them otherwise. It's a touchy subject.

Anyway....he's getting his second chance, and I hope he makes the most of it.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Let's still remember this on Vick...

He failed to "run the ball in" for a certain TD against Green Bay. He beat the Lions.

Is this short-sightedness on Reid's part? Absolutely.

I think of 2008 in Green Bay. Sure, the Packers could have started Favre and kept Rodgers on the bench. Instead, they went 6-10 with Rodgers. They probably would have gone 8-8 or 9-7 with Favre (and that awful defense). Would that team still make the Super Bowl? No way. BUT...they were able to get a good look at a QB who is reaching elite level in Rodgers.

Only teams with elite or near-elite QBs win Super Bowls.

Now to Philly. Is Kolb "the guy"? Does he have elite-level potential? You won't know until you toss him in for a full season - at the very least. The Eagles are 1-1, about what they expected anyway. Vick may win you 2-3 more games this year but how many teams has he led to the Super Bowl? How many titles has he won?

We have seen Vick's "ceiling" just as we have seen Favre's "ceiling". What is Kolb's ceiling? What is Rodgers? Don't know yet.

I tend to be a "Super Bowl or bust" kind of fan. 3-13 or 8-8 don't make much difference to me. The Eagles might go 9-7 or 8-8 with Vick instead of 6-10 or 7-9 with Kolb (assuming he's healthy). They will still be watching the Super Bowl on TV but wouldn't it be better to have an accurate measure on whether Kolb is the long term solution?

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Definitely don't like the trend of pulling quarterbacks so early. In game 1 or 2 of the season? for chrissakes?

You've got to give guys a chance to develop, to build through experience that's more than a handful of quarters.

There's probably some QBs in the HOF who wouldn't be there today if coaches back then had the itchy trigger finger like today's versions do.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Once a coach gets the quick hook syndrome with his QBs, the twitch doesn't stop. This promotion is extremely provisional for Vick. As it is, giving Kolb more time off for a concussion because Vick played great last Sunday seems like a justifiable decision to me. Reid didn't need to make it sound irrevocable, because his own actions state it isn't.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's a side-effect of being way, way too quick to fire coaches. 7-9 or 9-7 doesn't change who wins the Super Bowl, but it saves your job for another year.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As much as I roll my eyes at Favre in 2010... he nearly got pulled - for good - a few times in 1993 and early 1994.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

From the quarterback's perspective, it's kind of hard to build any confidence when you're constantly looking over your shoulder to see if you're being pulled. That's got to negatively impact your play. Not doing Vince Young's development any favors by pulling him. And let's take into account what defense he was up against.

Reverse the opponents for Vick and Young last week, and Young's being toasted in Nashville and Kolb would be back in as QB in Philly.

Let's look at the full body of work, not judge a game, a quarter, a series at a time.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Rumor has it it's going to be Batch.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Given that you root against the Eagles, I understand it even less. Going to have to agree to strongly disagree on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted