1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Dec 18, 2006.

?

Who is the most deserving for ROY?

1. Reggie Bush (RB/KR - New Orleans)

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Devin Hester (CB/KR - Chicago)

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. Maurice Jones-Drew (RB - Jacksonville)

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Nick Mangold (C - New York Jets)

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Marques Colston (WR - New Orleans)

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. DeMeco Ryans (LB - Houston Texans)

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Vince Young (QB - Tennessee)

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Joseph Addai (RB - Indianapolis)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Laurence Maroney (RB - New England)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Marcus McNeil (LT - San Diego)

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

52% completion percentage, 69 QB rating, 12-11 TD to INT ratio. Sounds a lot like Mike Vick.

2. standman

standman Member

Yeah, but Youg has been learning on the job in his first season. Vick has been at it for six years and the Falcons still don't know what to do with him.

3. Young will win it. Hester will be a close second. Jones-Drew will be a very underrated third.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Agree. Young finished with one of the worst QB ratings in the league. He's Michael Vick all over again until he proves he can pass. He doesn't deserve it in such an excellent rookie class.

It should have been Colston's, but he ended up not playing almost 4 full games (3 to injury and 1 to resting the starters). Jones-Drew is probably the best pick now.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Having watched Mangold all year, I am still astounded at how well he's played, with a weak-armed QB, to boot.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I have to go with Young, as many others have. How many rushing TD's does he have? The guy wins, and with that supporting cast? Absurd. They actually had a shot to make the playoffs in the last week. Insane.

I'd pick Hester and Jones-Drew 2nd and 3rd, I'm not sure in which order.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Hard to tell, with the Jets doing so many three-steps-and-dump patterns

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd go with Vince Young because I don't think anyone expected him to play, let alone start or go, what 7-5?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

About that supporting cast, Travis Henry did run for 1,211 yards. All but 82 of those came since Oct. 1, when Young made his first career start. In other words, Henry averaged 86.8 yards on the ground in those games.

A good ground game always take pressure off the quarterback. And it's not like Young didn't have help there.

I'll stick with who I voted for weeks ago -- Jones-Drew.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I went with Jones-Drew, who seemed to quickly become Jacksonville's biggest threat out there. He seemed pretty damn unstoppable, always slipping through holes. Young played very well, but MoJo-Drew was great way more often.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Fair point, but wasn't he missing his best WR and TE for a chunk of the season.

I'm just saying, it's not like Leinart who stepped into Fitzgerald, Bolton and Edge James (although Henry > James this year).

But still, a good stat. Thanks. Personally I hope MJ-D wins offensive rookie, at least. If he wins ROY, I'm not going to be upset.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Vince Young wins ROY

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2718595

Young wins going away with 23 votes. Colston and Jones-Drew both finished with nine, Marcus McNeill with six and Reggie Bush with three.

Earl Campbell (1978) and Eddie George (1996) also won it for the Oilers/Titans.

Draft saved Draft deleted