1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Dec 18, 2006.

?

Who is the most deserving for ROY?

1. Reggie Bush (RB/KR - New Orleans)

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Devin Hester (CB/KR - Chicago)

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. Maurice Jones-Drew (RB - Jacksonville)

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Nick Mangold (C - New York Jets)

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Marques Colston (WR - New Orleans)

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. DeMeco Ryans (LB - Houston Texans)

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Vince Young (QB - Tennessee)

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Joseph Addai (RB - Indianapolis)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Laurence Maroney (RB - New England)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Marcus McNeil (LT - San Diego)

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Most impressive thing is he was a right tackle at Auburn, and is now playing left tackle, the more critical position in the passing game, with the Chargers.

2. floridasun

floridasun Member

Definitely McNeill. One ESPN discussion said he wins top rookie, hands down.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was meaning to say that, too. Columbo's exactly right.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm with the McNeill group. He opens a lot of holes for LDT. He won't get it because linemen rarely do, but he deserves it.

5. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Out of this group, who is going to have a longer NFL shelf life and who is going to be the most productive?

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can make the case why he should have cracked the top 10. He's an enormously talented player who just happened to be drafted by the most inept NFL team not based in Michigan.

Mario Williams can't help that he's the only talented player on the Texans d-line, hell probably their entire defense. He's been singled out on the field and, due to the lack of production by his teammates, that will continue for the time being. The only way it changes is if the Texans add a solid complement to him via the draft of free agency.

I'm not advocating the he should be rookie of the year. He shouldn't. But let's not rip on the guy not being able to improve a team by himself. None of the rookies listed above would have been able to significantly help the Texans this year. That's how bad things are in Texas.

Rip the team. Rip the management. Just don't rip the player in this instance. It's uncalled for.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Anyone but Vince Young, the biggest draft day bust in any sport in 25 years. [/yeehaw Hondo]

8. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

When was the last time any lineman, offensive or defensive, won the ROY?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OL, never (it's been a RB 36 of the 49 times it's been awarded, WR 11 times, QB once, TE once). Last DL was Julius Peppers, 2002.

And, to be clear, there is an offensive and a defensive ROY each year.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

2002, when Julius Peppers won Defensive ROY; Javon Kearse (1999) before that. We're far removed from when Simeon Rice (1996), Hugh Douglas (1995), Tim Bowens (1994) and Dana Stubblefield (1993) won it four straight years.

As for offensive linemen, I can't think of one.

EDIT -- da man beat me to it.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My vote will go to Colston. He essentially has missed 3-4 games and still has 1,000 yards receiving. Drew Brees' go-to guy this year.

My ballot:
    1. Colston
    2. Jones-Drew
    3. Hester
    4. VY

12. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

It's an unbelievably tough choice. I'd like to see Hester get it, but the thing about him is he makes a lot of bonehead plays that no one talks about because of the touchdowns. I mean really stupid things like fielding punts at the 4-yard-line in traffic. Just dumb shit.

He'd certainly be in my top three, but I'd have hard time getting away from Vince Young. That guy's been something. No one expected the Titans to be worth a shit, and they've been pretty good lately, mostly because of him. That said, it's tough to argue against Jones-Drew and Colston, too.

How's that for non-committal?

Draft saved Draft deleted