1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL returns to NBC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

How did Aaron Brooks look with Art Shell's offense?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

WHAT? I've seen some things stated by you that made me think you were on crack, but now I'm certain you're sucking the glass dick.

You guys are a bunch of young whippersnappers anyway. The NBA on CBS in the 80s was much better than NBC.

(Now someone 10 years older than me will say the NBA kicked ass on its 70s ABC incarnation.)

(Then spnited will come on and say basketball has sucked ever since we stole it from the Aztecs. He saw many a losing team sacrificed back in the day and spnited got pissed because they were sometimes offed before he could get a quote.)

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought Mayans were the ones who did that. Oh well.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Aaron Brooks couldn't finish a sandwich with the crusts cut off.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I will agree with you on the CBS NBA theme in the 1980s. Definitely better than NBC. CBS' NFL Today and the intro for its NFL games were great too, but not better than the original Monday Night Football.

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

How much of a bribe do you suppose it would take to convince CBS to dump that god-awful NFL theme they have now and go back to the classic '80s song or, for that matter, ANYTHING besides what they have now?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The minute he arrived in Philly, just like he had in Detroit, just like he had before that in Cleveland, Garcia attached himself by the lips to a couple of the local beat writers, anointing himself as the go-to guy for pithy quotes out of the locker room, and the Voice Of Veteran Leadership on the team.

All offseason long, whenever the team gathered for minicamps, workouts, etc, what did you read in the Philly papers (or their online editions, anyway)?? Why, the Thoughts of Jeff Garcia on where the team stood, how the offense was coming along, how the receivers were running their routes, etc etc yadda yaddda. Any time the Eagles signed a new player, right as rain, you'd get some quote out of Garcia on what he thinks the new guy brings to the team.

And, almost always, down in the "notes," a few little tidbits about how the "coaches are fully confident of the depth situation at QB" -- that if for whatever reason McNabb goes down, they figure they'll be just fine. Wonder where those little nuggets of off-the-cuff information came from??

;D ;D ;D ;D

Go back one year and substitute the name "Joey Harrington" for "Donovan McNabb," and the drill was completely the same.

If for whatever reason McNabb goes down, the Philadelphia Eagles should immediately apply for membership in the Pennsylvania Pop Warner Junior Varsity League. If Jeff Garcia ever has to set foot on the field for any other reason than to fetch the kicking tee, they're fucked fourteen ways from next Friday.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Back when Pat O'Brien mattered. :D

9. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Damn I am going to miss the old ABC days with John Madden on monday night football.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Art Shelll's hat was troublesome. Way to small. It highlights a flaw in Reebook hats - they do not make a hat for large craniiums- strange since they are the official supplier for the NFL.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I disagree.... I thought the NBA on CBS music wins hands down.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That and the NHL theme song on CBS in the early 1970s

Draft saved Draft deleted