1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL reporter -- USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 5, 2013.

1. USA TODAY Sports Media Group is seeking an NFL Reporter who takes a digital-first, 24/7 approach and has a proven background of producing industry-leading coverage of the NFL. Extensive travel will be required.

● Break news on the beat and establish authority within the space.

● Write high-impact stories -- including breaking news, features and enterprise -- that take the audience behind the scenes to provide access and insight.

● Work closely with other writers and editors (and other Gannett properties) to develop stories, sources and collaborative projects.

● Meet stringent editing and vetting requirements and deadlines.

● Abide by the highest standards of journalistic integrity and professionalism.

● Be familiar with and committed to digital storytelling approaches that encourage audience engagement.

● Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.

● 5+ years of reporting experience with emphasis on beat writing from a national perspective.

● Demonstrated knowledge of the beat.

● Thorough understanding of the business aspects of the sport, such as contracts, collective bargaining agreements, agent activities, etc.

● Demonstrated ability to cultivate sources.

● Exceptional writing, research and communication skills.

Robert Klemko's old job, I believe.
  2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I know the perfect candidate, but I doubt they can afford him.
  3. Garafolo is leaving or has left, as well.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know you have to post the openings, but a) given the recent cutbacks and b) the significance of the beat - I'd have to think they already have a candidate in mind.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, really? Everyone -- everyone -- has a price.
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did they fill Dunne's job or is this in addition to that one?

I know the perfect person for this job and it was someone who was a runner-up to Lindsay when she got the job. I hope he gets it. Lindsay has done a great job for them as well...
  7. wheels89

wheels89 Member

Garafolo's spot since he is going to Fox Sports
  8. RonClements

RonClements Member

That link doesn't work for me in Firefox or Internet Explorer.
  9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ron, do you go to a log-in screen for a username and password? I think something's wrong with Gannett's careers screen. It's not supposed to do that.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Try this.

11. RonClements

RonClements Member

That worked. Thanks MileHigh.
    Steve, I didn't get to any page. When I said link didn't work, I mean it didn't work at all.
  12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey Ron... okay. I know Gannett's career website has been messing up a bit as of late.
Draft saved Draft deleted