1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL regular-season game to be played in London next season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

BTW, this nonsense has got to stop. Play an exhibition game, fine. But teams get screwed beyond just finances when you pull shit like this. What's the fucking points of playing a regular season game in London aside from "just because you can?" There isn't one. The NFL isn't expanding into London anytime soon, nor Paris or Berlin or Frankfort or anywhere else the WLAF used to play. Just cut out the cuteness and the gimmicks and all the other shit that keeps happening and play the fucking games on Sunday, or, for two teams, Mondays.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Anytime an empire stretches itself too far and thin ... well, you know how that turns out.

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

Hasn't the Fridge been pimping this idea for years? I think he played for the Monarchs at one point in his career.

4. In Frankfurt, the Galaxy draw healthy crowds during that truncated NFL Europe season they play. I was surprised at the support when I went to a game there. Never caught a game in London or in Hamburg or Amsterdam, so I can't testify to fan support there.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yeah... they'll be doing this in 32 years as currently consituted.

Only way to make sure it's fair is by giving the aggrieved home team a draft pick.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

They do that ... and they can have my season tickets... ideally after I wipe my ass with them.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The idea behind it being London, I believe, relates to ease of travel for the teams and fans. You can get to the center of London my rail as well as air from most of western europe now, and Wembley has just been rebuilt and has a giant capacity.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You may be right about the Lions being successful before the Browns. But the Lions won't be successful for 20 years, so that'll be a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG wait for Browns fans.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's obviously for marketing reasons. The NFL sees Europe as a massive untapped market for merch sales / licensing and wants a piece of it.

And if every team is to eventually lose a home game, the Dolphins are getting over by being the first, because home-game revenues will only become that much bigger by 2017.

The Frankfurt WLAF franchise drew well because there was at the time a huge American military population (IIRC, somewhere around 900,000 when dependents are included) within 3 hours' drive. It's probably half that now.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

I agree in a sense. London is OK, because the locals can get a prime-time game (and possibly live BBC coverage on a Sunday night) and east-coasters could get either a 1 pm (6 pm London) or 4 pm (9 pm) game. Right now, it's just about marketing and merchandising for the league.

But agreed on the Sunday/Monday deal. Don't mind the late-season Saturday games, either.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

In a weird way, the Giants DO lose a home game.
    There are so many transplanted NYers in So. Fla, they would widely outnumber Dolphins fans. Look at when the Jets play in Miami.
    Miami has a good world (thanks Marino) following so they might actually have a homefield advantage at Wembley.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

They should ship the Raiders and Lions over there next year ... and leave them over there and not allow them to return to the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted