1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL RedZone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Oct 1, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think the NFL's and DirecTV's red zone product are separate entities. I've got DirecTV, but not Sunday Ticket... not sure if I've got the RedZone channel or not.

Anybody else in the same boat?

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I am, unless I'm looking for it in the wrong place.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

DTV's is separate from the one on Dish and other cable providers.
    Different hosts.
    You can only get it on DTV if you get NFLST.

4. Yea, Verizon had a free preview for the 1:00 games this week. Channel was outstanding. That was, of course, until the nimrods at Verizon had the bright idea to cut it off, dead, at 4 p.m. on the money. Right in the middle of a tom brady throw late in a very close game against the Ravens. Blow me Verizon. Newsflash to Verizon, just because the channel guide says games for from 1-4 doesn't mean they all end at 4.

5. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Actually, to be fair, I think the preview was listed to go from 1-4 p.m., not "for the 1 p.m. games." I don't think this is Verizon's fault.

But it's fun to blame them!

6. Not quite as fun as it will be to drop them when my contract is up and go back to giving my money to directv. Where I can watch ALL of the games. :)

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I watched the preview last weekend. I was mesmerized for three hours. I might have to subscribe to this, since I can't get Sunday Ticket and they rarely show my team on TV. (It's the Bucs, and yes, I know it's because they suck.)

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

At least you could get to see other teams driving on the Bucs, though.

I realize that doesn't sting much coming from a Panthers fan.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Caught the preview last weekend and it was definitely entertaining. Fantastic for fantasy players and gamblers.

Afterwards, though, I thought about it, and wondered if this might not change the way people watch pro football in general. And not for the best.

Yes, seeing all the scoring plays are great. But, there's something to be said for watching an entire game, following the ebb and flow. With this, you won't get to see a monster hit by a linebacker on a running back at their own 30, a missed opportunity of an overthrown bomb, a perfectly placed coffin corner punt, a stupid, costly penalty.

Similar to how music downloads/i-pods have perhaps devalued the album/CD, and perhaps cost people the opportunity to experience great cuts deep into an album, will the RedZone make people miss out on some of the good things about pro football that you would only get by actually sitting through a game.

This instant information, on demand information age certainly has untold benefits. benefits that far outweigh the downsides. But, there's some things I'm not sure are a step for the better.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. Or maybe just old. Hand me a blanket--it's cold in here. And turn that damn music down.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I caught the free preview on Comcast this past week and fell in love with it. I was watching the Patriots-Ravens game and flipping between NFL Net and NFL Redzone for stats and big plays from around the league. On the Pats bye week. If the Eagles aren't on I'll likely spend the entire day watching Redzone. That's right, after just one day I ordered the channel on Monday.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I agree, but if the network choice is two teams I don't care about I'd rather go for the sampler.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I have NFL Ticket with three TV's hooked up in the basement. My basement has been the Redzone channel for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted