1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL reaches concussion settlement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed. But since the lawsuit is settled, the NFL gets to avoid answering the old "What did you know and when did you know it?" question regarding them.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Without any admission of wrongdoing. Again, this screams cash grab to me. The NFL is a big pie and these guys wanted a piece of it. If the plaintiffs truly were concerned about what the NFL knew and when, they would have pushed harder for answers instead of settling on a monetary number. That's the sad part.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that was the players' point all along. They weren't saying the NFL should have known more than it did. They were saying that the NFL knew enough, but either held back that information or lied to the players about it. Or both.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Fainarus' book -- which was the basis of the PBS/ESPN collaboration -- supposedly traces the issue back for "nearly two decades." Could be 15 1/2 years, could be 19.99, but in either case a hell of a lot longer than anyone in the NFL would have us believe.

Tobacco, again.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

More likely, they couldn't win that case, but they need the money to help deal with the medical bills. My understanding is this is not just damages. Some of the money is going toward treatment. Some toward education.

If you were one of the players with lasting medical issues, would you roll the dice or take the settlement that helps you move on with your life? Neither option makes it a cash grab.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess someone needs to stick up for the $10 billion industry against the greedy crippled people who made it a $10 billion industry.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Those greedy millionaires that played decades ago.

Jesus Gator, how many of the crippled players do you think are millionaires?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Andre Waters had to be one -- I mean, he and his 85-year-old brain died when he was only 44! I believe he was found atop a pile of $100 bills.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The plaintiffs are more concerned about their families having to deal with their deteriorating brains than anything else. That costs money.

So when the NFL made an offer, they could have fought the good fight and possibly gotten nothing or they could settle and get some cash to pay for medical bills and future care. I can't blame them for doing that, especially since most of them aren't superstars who earned millions in their careers.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Whether the settlement involves admission of liability or not, the NFL can and certainly will be sued for future concussions and by former players not parties to this suit. A denial of liability might be evidence in a future trial of a continuing cover-up.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Gator is Pete Prisco.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/23381962/nfl-can-afford-765m-settlement-but-players-didnt-deserve-it

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How many of these vets who were not qualified for health care before, are now qualified for health care from the league?

Draft saved Draft deleted