1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL punishing players for acts before they were drafted?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tapintoamerica, May 29, 2007.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I couldn't understand how the NFL managed to suspend Jamal Lewis for incidents that transpired before he signed a contract. But they pulled it off. It seems equally specious if they wind up penalizing Vick for anything he may have done before he became a professional. (The ESPN confidential informant speaks of dog fighting in 2000 -- the year before Vick was drafted.)
    I believe it was PTI that asked which player -- Giambi or Vick -- was more likely to be punished for past transgressions. The answer, of course, is Vick, and it has everything to do with the relative strength of the unions involved. The NFLPA is a partner in the league's crackdown on discipline. The baseball union, however, vigorously opposes virtually any regulatory act against its membership. It tends to win, too. If the Yankees move to strike Giambi's contract, they'll get about two steps toward the courthouse before realizing it's best to back out and avoid total humiliation.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wrong board.

And wrong-headed, to boot.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. Tapin, you honestly think suddenly quit the dog fighting business when he turned pro?

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Might want to familiarize yourself with what is felonious and what isn't.
    Without knowing or acknowledging such, you're lead down the path of False Conclusion.

5. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I saw the piece ESPN did and I was wondering how Vick had $5,000 to make dog fighting bets before he was in the NFL and they said he was betting on his own dog, which was probably another few thousand dollars.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Betting on his own dog?
    Just like Pete Rose.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That's a real interesting question, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted