1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL pre-season and news thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I would take about 20 other QBs over Favre, anyday.
    RJ is spot on in his assessment of Favre.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

A popular comparison is Favre and Manning and we're going to hear a lot more about that as Manning breaks most of Favre's passing records this season.

There are things that compare, the durability, the multiple MVPs, only winning one Super Bowl.

The difference is, Manning is a workhorse. Favre would routinely skip practices, he would miss the majority of off-season workouts. It's the biggest reason why Manning is so beloved by his teammates and Favre, by in large, was not.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Whether or not he skipped practices, was a diva, or was beloved by his teammates has nothing to do with being overrated as a football player.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to excuse anything, but having come from the same part of the country as Favre, I can tell you he's the best of a lousy bunch in his family. His brothers and sisters are a freaking train wreck.

5. RecoveringJournalist

It does if you're claiming that (as I am) that he underachieved as a player. If the guy who is supposed to be a leader, isn't one, it impacts the entire team.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. RecoveringJournalist

Very true. I've had the misfortune of meeting all of them.

7. Not sure history has been unkind of Favre.
    People just ignore it.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Martellus Bennett fined and suspended after getting into a fight and throwing around top draft pick Kyle Fuller.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Well, during the 2007 season when he was breaking Marino's records and in the 2009 season where he was playing at a MVP level for the Vikings, you would hear his name mentioned with Montana and Elway as one of the best of all-time. I'm sure he's still on a few Top 10 all-time lists, but I've seen quite a few where he's not listed.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here's the video. Does not seem near as dramatic as the way the
    fight has been reported.

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/martellus-bennett-slams-kyle-fuller-as-another-fight-breaks-out-in-bears-camp/

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Based on what?

Favre is going to go from overrated to underated soon.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, let's not get too absurd here. The guy did win three MVPs and has most of the passing records for the next few months as well as the consecutive games streak that will never be touched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.