1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL pre-season and news thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Deadspin isn't showing the love for PK. Or his dining habits.

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/gross-and-bad-nfl-mouthpiece-celebrates-cincinnatis-poo-1615893849/+AlbertBurneko?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yes.

He's a first-time eligible next year but I don't think there's any way he gets consideration for a very long time.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Sharper was the guy I was most curious about whether he would get in before all his legal issues came about. As you mentioned, he had all the stats, I just don't know that I ever thought he was on that level.

His stats are insane. During the 2009 season, I remember one of the commentators referred to him as "a first-ballot Hall of Fame lock" and it was the first time I even thought of him as a HOF-level-player.

But, he's not getting in no matter what, so it doesn't matter.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Lynch has to wait until 2020, he'll probably have to contend with Charles Woodson as well. Woodson should be a first-ballot guy.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But is he a difference maker? Is your team going to win more games with him under center than someone else you can get at 60 percent of that price? That's what I question.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

True to a point. He's actually competing against all of the first-time eligibles at that point. Should Woodson retire after this season, it would be dependent on anyone else of serious note also stepping away. It's why 2018 and 2019 have limited spots and 2016, 2017 and 2019 are looking like big success for holdovers. The voters have basically said that every year is going to have five modern electees.

2018 could fill all five spots with first-timers -- Lewis, Urlacher, Moss, Hutchinson and Rhonde Barber who obviously has the weakest case of the group but is going to get major consideration. Compare that to the years around it, like 2017 -- when Tomlinson is the first-ballot lock but the next best options are Hines Ward, Jason Taylor and Brian Dawkins. It could easily be a Tomlinson and four holdover year.

By the time 2020 rolls around and Woodson could be a first-timer should he retire, there is a chance that 14 holdovers will have already been elected. Seeing as how Lynch was one of the final eight players on this year's ballot, it's pretty probable he will be inducted by the time Woodson gets his first crack. And now that there are extra spots due to the contributors category, that gives even more chances to stay among the finalists and be in the mix every year going forward.

He didn't get to the final 10 this time but there are seven slots and not enough newcomers to fill out the final 15 -- I think next year's 15 will be Greene, Bettis, Haley, Harrison, Shields, Anderson, Lynch, Brown, Warner, Law, Pace, Seau, Bruce or Holt (not both), holdover, holdover. Even if the voters put five newcomers or even six with both Bruce and Holt, there's no way Lynch should drop off.

The guys who got to the final 10 were Greene, Bettis, Haley, Harrison and Shields. The only question for 2015 is how many newcomers bump someone -- ie Pace over Shields, Seau over Greene and then is there a wild-card like Warner or Law added in. There's no way Bruce or Holt gets the nod over Harrison and Brown, so the question will be how many voters like Warner and does Ty Law get the first ballot defensive back nod so far achieved by Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green, Ronnie Lott, DIVING LINE between 2000 and 1989, Mel Blount, Ken Houston, Willie Brown, Larry Wilson

7. RecoveringJournalist

It is, but he played guard, and unless you're Larry Allen, guards have to wait. I'm guessing Will Shields goes in before him, but I think he eventually gets in.

He may lose some votes because he was widely considered to be a dirty player.

8. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

The Packers will be retiring Favre's number.

Am I the only that believes he's one of the most overrated players in the last three decades?

9. RecoveringJournalist

No, you're not. This buys into the concept that someone can be great, a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer and still be overrated.

I don't consider him a Top 10 all-time QB. I think he dramatically underachieved for much of his career. He was a huge diva, a bad teammate, he was not coachable, was not a team guy and played with a huge level of indifference for much of the second half of his career.

History has not been kind to Favre and I think it will continue that way.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on where he's rated and who is rating him. The conventional wisdom espoused by ESPN, FOX, NBC & NFL Networks seem to place him in about 4-8 of the best QBs ever. Just an impression. That's overrating him. There are a number of players without his stats that are better. Staubach comes to mind as a player who is underrated as time goes on. I was a big Tarkenton fan. When he retired he held lots of records but wasn't held in the regard of Favre, not winning a SB will do that, but I'd rather have Tarkenton than Favre, Fouts too.
    Favre v Marino?

Troy Aikman 1989-2000
    George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975
    Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983
    Len Dawson 1957-1975 John Elway 1983-1998 Dan Fouts 1973-1987 Otto Graham 1946-1955 Bob Griese 1967-1980 Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974 Jim Kelly 1986-1996 Bobby Layne 1948-1962 Dan Marino 1983-1999 Joe Montana 1979-1994 Warren Moon 1984-2000 Joe Namath 1965-1977 Bart Starr 1956-1971 Roger Staubach 1969-1979 Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978 Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964 Johnny Unitas 1956-1973 Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960 Bob Waterfield 1945-1952 Steve Young 1985-1999

Add Baugh and Luckman from pre-1950 and see where you think he belongs

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would take Ken Stabler in his prime over Favre any day.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bucs guard Carl Nicks, a former Pro Bowler with the Saints whose career was essentially ended by MRSA, got a $3 million injury settlement:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11311550/tampa-bay-buccaneers-carl-nicks-reach-injury-settlement?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.