1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL pre-season and news thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Starting a new one, as Adam Schefter reports Andy Dalton signs a six-year, $115M deal with Cincinnati. Structure -- and guaranteed money -- as yet unknown.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He can thank Jay Cutler.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Interesting that Cam Newton and Alex Smith haven't gotten new deals yet.

It will be interesting to see if Dalton's numbers take a huge dip with Gruden gone. I could see it happening.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I think so, too. But this signals that the Bengals are hitching their wagon to Dalton and going to ride him, for better or worse. Well, they've had three years to evaluate and that's their decision, so good luck.

5. The fact Dalton got that kind of a deal can not bode well for teams looking to sign/resign better-caliber QBs.

On behalf of the rest of the AFC North, let me say Thank You, Cincinnati for your renewed commitment to mediocrity.

6. RecoveringJournalist

I'm just waiting to find out that this deal is nothing even remotely close to what is being reported and that quite a bit of the $$$ are tied into incentives that he likely will never touch, like Kaepernick's deal.

7. was Schefter the same guy who over-reported the Kaepernick deal?

8. RecoveringJournalist

Not sure. He certainly wasn't the only one. Sometimes you're at the mercy of what an agent tells you and the agent wants to make it seem like he got a huge deal for his client, because most people remember what is initially reported and not the real numbers when they come out a day or two later.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Regarding Newton, I suspect part of it has to do with the fact that the Panthers are still trying to sort out their cap situation for the coming years. They are pretty much stuck with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart for several years, given how their deals were structured. Plus they have to decide if they want to extend Greg Hardy.

As for Smith, my guess is that the Chiefs will give him an extension if they make the playoffs this season. If they don't, they'll let him hit the market and draft somebody.

10. RecoveringJournalist

With what the Chiefs gave up to get Smith, I'm guessing he'll get some kind of extension soon.

This Dalton deal is going to scare teams. He's not a bad QB, but even if the actual numbers are $75 million over 5 years, that's insane.

11. RecoveringJournalist

No. He can thank Joe Flacco.

He started this. Everybody has been reacting to that for the past 18 months or so.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Your alternative is?

He isn't going to be any cheaper at the end of this year. That's the going rate for QB's, we need to get over the sticker shock of these contracts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.