1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL playoffs running thread (with poll)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 30, 2013.

?

Who wins the Super Bowl?

1. Seahawks

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Panthers

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Eagles

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Packers

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 49ers

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Saints

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Broncos

17 vote(s)
    21.8%
  8. Patriots

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Bengals

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  10. Colts

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  11. Chiefs

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. Chargers

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They get paid for each game played, so it's a handful of massive checks.

They also get paid on top of their contract to work out in the offseason. Not sure if it's the same per player, but I remember seeing something that Pats owed Aaron Hernandez $80,000 or so for working out.

I think NBA players get per diem checks when they travel. I think Kyle Korver lived off the per diem checks from the NBA instead of cashing the money of his paychecks for everyday living.

2. 93Devil

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

They do, actually. They found this during the standard stat review they do after every single game.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ticket sales problems in several venues.

Indianapolis was 7,000 short of a sellout.

Cincinnati 10,000

And Green Bay -- !!!!!!!! -- was 11,000 short.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/31/wild-card-weekend-tickets-bengals-colts-packers/

It appears a whole lot of fans share the sentiments expressed here, by me and others, that the stadium is the last place you'd want to watch an NFL game.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be taking this long to sort out. I saw a replay when I first heard about this and it seems pretty clear that it was not a forward pass.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Packers will sell out without a problem over the next day or so. Season-ticket holders had a deadline to buy their playoff tickets that was shortly after Thanksgiving. Of course, the Packers got blasted on Thanksgiving, 40-10, at Detroit, and most figured sending their money in for playoff tix was a waste of time. Worse, the system this year was set so that if they didn't make the playoffs the team would hold onto the money and apply it toward next year's season-ticket bill. That is is total bullshit, so half the season-ticket holders -- figuring there would be no Packer involvement in the playoffs -- didn't bother. No one expected the 3-1 finish that got the Packers to the playoffs.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed on your first point (I haven't seen the replay, so not sure on the second). They make stat adjustments every week and I have no problem with it, but it should be completed by end of business the day after the game is played. Two weeks and they're suddenly going back and looking to take away a record? Horseshit.

8. 93Devil

If he's six yards short, does Denver send him out for one more series for the record?

You don't take a record away days later because of a screw up.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's dumb but officiality is officiality.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Absolutely they do. Manning cares about the records a lot.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ya know, Roberto Clemente's 2,375th hit really should have been ruled an error.

Sorry, guy. Only 2,999 hits for you.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Two weeks? The game was Sunday and the review was Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure the reviews go through Elias and there's a natural lag there because of it. This happens every single week -- if you look at your fantasy football website, there's an entire section devoted to stat corrections. A few years ago, Donovan McNabb got credit for a touchdown pass on a Wednesday after it was ruled a run at the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted