1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If there is any justice in the world, Ruckus, OOP and 3_Octave will get to spend a week in the same cell together (maybe they can throw in Ray Lewis, Michael Vick and OJ Simpson for good measure) and they'll install a webcam so we can all watch how it goes down. Now that would be must see TV.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You sure you want to talk about cells, convict?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've been thinking about this. We have three outstanding athletes. One a Hall of Famer (Simpson); a future Hall of Famer (Lewis); and a record-setting former superstar (Vick). All three were accused of hideous crimes. Of the three, on Vick admitted his guilt. Simpson was acquitted and the charges were reduced for Lewis. Three different situations. Three different outcomes.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What records does Vick hold?

Also, Vick admitted his guilt because he was busted and he knew it. So yes, that was a different situation.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Vick is the all-time leading rusher in the NFL with 2,62 yards. Colin Kaepernick has set an NFL record for rushing yards by a quarterback in a playoff game.

Kaepernick broke Michael Vick's mark of 119 yards with a 56-yard keeper on an option play in the third quarter of Saturday night's playoff game against Green Bay. The run gave Kaepernick 163 yards on 12 carries, setting a 49ers franchise record for the postseason. Vick set his record for Atlanta in a 47-17 win over St. Louis on Jan. 15, 2005.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I figured there was one. Still kinda funny to label somebody as a "record setting former superstar" when he currently holds just one and at one time held only two, but you were technically correct.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Simpson and Lewis both charged with murder.

Prosecution was able to place Lewis at the scene of murder but not Simpson.

Both acquitted in criminal court.

Both have wrongful death civil suits brought against them by the families of the
    deceased.

Simpson goes to trial and loses. Lewis settles out of court to make the case go away.

It's interesting to ponder the question if Simpson were still playing like Lewis is now, how Simpson would be viewed.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just theorizing on my end but I believe Simpson wouldn't be playing. The pressure he would be up under, the security to keep him safe would create too much of a distraction for any team to bear.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why is it different for Lewis?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Lewis' case didn't polarize the country the way O.J.'s did. Let's put everything out there, and I know a lot of people won't like it but that's cool.
    O.J. was accused of murdering two white people, one of whom was his ex-wife. Lewis was accused of killing two black men outside of an Atlanta club. We know which murder intrigues America more.

11. printit

printit Member

Because there is like 1,356,981 times difference between being there when someone is killed and, you know, killing two people yourself. (especially when one of the two is the mother of your children and your children are inside asleep).

12. I'll ask. Now where's the pass?

Draft saved Draft deleted