1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

if that was the matchup there might be 2 or 3 punts all game. then again it could've been 10-7. not that i made any money off it but i told my buddy (huge Giants fan) at start of playoffs Giants could beat GB but would lose at N.O. thought they would have an easier time with SF, not a blowout, but didn't think it would be OT. another if, Ted Ginn plays good chance SF wins.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I stand by this post.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Giants are the St. Louis Cardinals of the NFL, so far. Problem is they are likely to get better like the Packers. I can't think of any defensive player I'd rather have going forward than Pierre Paul.

4. cjericho

great post. thing with the NFL is the talent difference is miniscule. not even sure the Giants were the most complete team but they played the best when it counted most. Coughlin does nothing to endear himself to the media so it's easy to go after him. he kind of just doesn't care to engage the media. Rex Ryan is a loudmouth and always says something that can be used so the media loves that and most Jets fans love the confidence. he craves the spotlight Coughlin doesn't. there should be a lot more articles about Coughlin being a good coach but it's easier tp write about and i guess more people want to read about the brashness of the fat guy. it is kind of like governor Christie. big fat loudmouth who always gives the media something to write about.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Niners could have beaten the Pats tonight.

6. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Giants' becoming excellent coincided with Justin Tuck getting healthy.

He isn't the most physically gifted guy on that line, but he knows how to move, especially on stunts, to make big plays.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Here's what was awful about the matchup: If the Giants were "right" - and they weren't always, and probably not often, "right" - they were better than the Packers. That's the matchup problem. The guys in blue were better than the guys in green (and the guys in Black and red and red, white and blue).

I'm not a Giants fan. I just thought that they were the only team in the playoffs where, if they were clicking, could give you better than average results in the passing game, running game, pass defense and rush defense. Everybody else had glaring flaws.

The only other team that could have matched the Giants in term of being a complete team was Houston. But that went out the window with Schaub's injury. Think about it. With a healthy Schaub, they have a good passing game with a great receiver, a good running game and a pretty stout defense. To me, they win the AFC with Schaub.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think this helps validate how good that 49ers team is.

9. cjericho

2 fumbles away from being in the Super Bowl

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Both teams battled injuries all through the regular season. At least in the Giants' case, they got healthy at the right time. The 2005 Steelers were the same way. Needed to scramble to get in, but that was because their injuries hit in mid-season and they got healthy in time to make a run.

Give the Giants a healthy defensive front all season and they wouldn't have needed any luck to get in.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Obviously so . . . especially when you consider the state of the remainder of the NFC East, this year.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Certain NY writers have embarrassed themselves on this point, for years. They got real quiet about it, the past month.
    Guess they must have looked in the mirror.

Draft saved Draft deleted