1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Playoff Thread: Championship round

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another question. Is Arizona there yet? They can't fly in today or tonight.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

PFT says they're still planning to fly tomorrow morning.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Weather forecast in Charlotte for Sunday shows 45 and mostly clear.
    If it's a slosh fest, Carolina. If it's dry and less sloshy, Arizona.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Playing it different two ways.

New England -3
    Carolina -3

Also teasing it... New England +4/Arizona +10.

Aside from Brady/Belichick vs. Manning/Kubiak, I just don't see the Broncos scoring touchdowns as often in the red zone as New England.

Initially, I thought the Cardinals would be a trendy upset pick. I like them on the tease at +10 but Palmer scared the hell out of me last week and it feels like Cam's time. Add in the weather, home field.

Wouldn't be surprised if New England and Carolina each win by 17.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They're taking the tarp off 24 hours before game time (precipitation in Charlotte is pretty much over). Grounds guy says field will be "wet" but shouldn't be a slogfest.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The books' stubborn holding of that line is about the only reason I can come up with for expecting a close game. They don't play hunches. There must be SOME opinion based in fact to counter the conventional wisdom of an easy Pats' win.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

How about the only game the Broncos lost by more than one score was when Manning threw four picks in the first half? And even then the D held the Chiefs to mostly field goals to keep it from getting really ridiculous. Of course the Broncos also won all their games close too. If the Broncos don't turn the ball over, this will be a close game. Just like all the others.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Normally, when the public is one way... look strongly at going the other way.

Yet this doesn't feel that way to me at all. Sometimes the favorites can be played at a discount... not often but it does happen.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two random fun facts:
    1) From 1970 to 2001, one of four teams — the Cowboys, Vikings, 49ers or Rams — played in EVERY NFC championship game except three. Since 2002, they've combined to make four appearances, three of which were by the 49ers.
    2) In the Brady-Belichick era, the Patriots have beaten every AFC team they've faced in the playoffs at least once. The only AFC teams they haven't beaten are Buffalo, Miami, Cincinnati and Cleveland, none of whom have won a playoff game this century.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Enjoy the games today!

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but, Tex Schramm told the players they would enjoy playing on concrete.

Draft saved Draft deleted