1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL players prepared to strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 31, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, I agree that the media landscape is different, but the league had its share of stars back then. Football fans will turn on players and stick with their teams very quickly. You really think the union wasn't trying those very same tactics 20 years ago?

I'm assuming you were talking about media exposure, not play on the field, in comparing Manning to Marino and Montana. That or you have either forgotten or never knew in the first place just how good those guys were.

spnited is probably right, which would make this all a moot point, but the idea that the league really didn't have stars back then is pretty damn silly.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The posturing needs to take place so everyone can save face. It doesn't look good for the league when the PA comes under too much attack for being soft. This way everyone can say, 'We have real, confrontational labor disputes, see?'

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The NFL has a sweet package now, but the owners know it can be sweeter.

The owners hold all of the cards right now, and they want the entire pot.

The NBA and the NFL players cannot strike because their players do not save money. Travis Henry had to take a personal loan from the Titans for crying out loud to cover his child support. If the paychecks stopped at any point for many of these players, they would have nothing. Look at the finances of Mike Vick. Adam Jones had to wrestle for crying out loud.

Go into the team offices on payday and take note of how many players are standing there waiting for the check. Give them a million and they will still live hand to mouth. Give them 10 million and they will still live hand to mouth.

Unless the worker has the ability to stay out of work for an extended period of time (that does not mean 1-2 months, it means 1-2 years), management will always win. Always.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If Upshaw and union wanted to do something really ballsy, they'd strike in Nov. 2008 if the owners declared they wanted to void the deal/reopen negotiations/whatever it is that upsets him. See if Gadell will cancel the final month of the season, playoffs and Super Bowl, or play them with replacement players.

Of course that would never happen, but the possibilities are fun to ponder (and are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?)

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

steve largent crossed, eric dickerson crossed, lawrence taylor crossed, i think joe montana crossed? i think close to 100 guys crossed the picket line

and sean payton was a replacement QB for the bears

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You know what they say about assume.

Peyton Manning: one Super Bowl ring. Held record for TD passes in a season last year. Tom Brady: three Super Bowl rings -- maybe four in a couple more days. Currently holds record for TD passes in a season.

In 1987, Dan Marino was entering his fifth season in the league. Until last year, Peyton Manning WAS Dan Marino!! Now he has the Super Bowl ring that separates them. Joe Montana had been around twice as long as Marino in 1987, but had only two Super Bowl titles at that point. He also was not followed by paparazzi while dating a supermodel.

Peyton Manning + Tom Brady now > Dan Marino + Joe Montana in 1987.

7. outofplace

Thanks. Taylor was the only big name I remembered for sure, but I didn't think he was a great example because he had a cocaine addiction to feed.

8. outofplace

In media exposure, yes. No question. The media has changed that much.

In terms of production and their place in the game? You said Marino and Montana barely compare to Manning now, which simply shows your loss of perspective in your zeal to attack the NFL whenever given the opportunity.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Try reading the posts you're quoting.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Are you guys saying the NFLPA doesn't have a war chest sufficient to feed its members during a strike?

What, they don't endorse Kaliber anymore? </suchnaoldandobscurereferenceIshouldbehungformentioningit>

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can they give them decent health care after retirement?

12. outofplace

I was referring to your initial post, TSP, in which you said that Montana and Marino of '87 barely compare to Manning now. Just because you decided to shift your point in mid-argument doesn't mean I am going to ignore your initial statement.

Draft saved Draft deleted