1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL players and injuries...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 3, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've seen a lot of articles in the past few years about NFL players that can't get out of bed in the morning and NFL retirees who are more banged up than they ever imagined. I realize it is a brutal sport and players really can ruin their bodies by playing for even a few years, I'm not here to debate that. But if players are going to complain about the toll the game takes on their bodies shouldn't they be somewhat responsible for how they protect themselves on the field?

A few examples of what I am talking about:

Chad Johnson said he only buckles all three straps of his chin strap against tough defenses like the Ravens.
    Willis McGahee, Dre Bly and tons of players in the defensive secondary not wearing knee pads or thigh pads.
    Players not wearing mouthguards.

I know this isn't little league football but shouldn't the NFL enforce some sort of uniform requirement?

When did it become the norm for players to not wear knee pads? This creates even more problems. I'm beginning to notice a trend of players not willing to square up and make tackles in the open field. They simply put their head down and dive at a player's knees, or lead with a helmet against a helmet.

Today I watched some scrubby Lions player who appeared to not be wearing any lower body pads drop his head and try to tackle a Bear's receiver. He could have broken his neck. Maybe he should wear pads and tackle like a man.

Okay, rant over.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The NFL does enforce a uniform requirement. Anytime the towel hanging from the pants is a half-inch too long, or somebody's sock slides down their ankle, the player gets fined. Stupid, I know.

Seriously, I think the only requirement is a helmet and shoulder pads. Players don't like wearing all the equipment because they feel it slows them down.

Draft saved Draft deleted