1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL owners vote to opt out of labor contract

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, May 20, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

News alert:

ATLANTA (AP) _ NFL owners vote unanimously to opt out of labor contract, which will now expire in 2011.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

PA will eventually decertify, which might keep the fight off the field and short-circuit lockout. No chance the players will strike.
  3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Why would they?

Don't they get an uncapped year now?
  4. cranberry

That's why I used the word "eventually." They'll take the uncapped year in 2010. The actual showdown comes in 2011, I believe.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What, it was unanimous? You mean EVERY owner is dissatisfied with the current labor setup? Shocking. And here I thought all along that the NFL system was just so glorious.
  6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Translation: Greedy bastards who are ghuaranteed a profit even their team sucks want higher profits.
    Where are all our NFL synchophants to tell us how great the league and the system are now?
  7. cranberry

I'm sure you're trying to take a swipe at someone in the great Sports Economic System Debate of 2006, 2007 and 2008, but owner boards almost always vote unanimously. They don't have a vote until everyone's on board with a plan and getting everyone to agree the players have it too good is never a hard sell in the NFL.

Now, getting this bunch to agree on which streams belong in the revenue-sharing pool will be a very different story.
  8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In "War Without Death," Mark Maske wrote that the small market teams--specifically Buffalo--did not support the current CBA because of revenue-sharing. Not coincidentally, Dallas and Washington do not feel it is their responsibility to subsidize those teams.
  9. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

Can you imagine Dan Snyder without the limits of a salary cap?
  10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think that's one of the reasons Woody Johnson and the Jets spent like drunken sailors on shore leave during free agency. Same with Jerry Jones' recent spending spree.
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Roger Goddell is going to have to come up with a Pete Rozelle Moment to get the owners back on the same page regarding revenue sharing.
  12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Unlike Rozelle, Goodell does not have a Wellington Mara.
Draft saved Draft deleted