1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nfl overtime rule change

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wow, so a team that took the overtime kickoff and then drove 98 yards in 18 plays in 12:00 elapsed time to score a TD wouldn't "deserve to win?"

Jesus. The more of this stuff I read, the better my "Win-By-17" rule looks.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Agreed, and you and I almost never agree on anything football-related.

The NFL's overtime is ideal the way it is. It should not be changed.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't know if those changes are feasible, but I agree with you that the improvement in kicking accuracy has made the game less enjoyable to watch. Too many possessions where teams are just conservatively trying to position themselves for their old reliable 160 lb kicker instead of taking risks and going for the end zone with real football players.

And why even have the extra point nowadays? It's just become a meaningless wasted play ritual. If there's no realistic suspense over the outcome of the play then there's no reason to have it. The game would be better if kickers weren't so damn good nowadays.

4. Starman

the hardest thing about implementing any of these rules changes would be to change the width of the goalposts, which would present a minor headache for high school teams, but would be trivial for everybody else.

My proposed change for the placekicking rules would change the extra-point kick from virtually automatic to merely highly-likely, a very important distinction in reducing the frequency of tie games and also making the go-for-2 option slightly more attractive for coaches.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Way to cherry pick my post there, starman. I'm saying that if you are going to insist that both teams get the ball once, that should be the case no matter how the team that gets the ball first scores.

Scroll up. There are some good examples of scenarios that could be problematic for the new proposal as it is.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm in the LEAVE. IT. THE. EFF. ALONE. group.

for all the scenarios already listed by my wise SportsJournalists.com brethren, the current system is the best. all the others make my head hurt -- and are sure to leave too many owners/coaches/gm's feeling the same. i'd be shocked -- SHOCKED!! -- if this changes. 8)

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

High school goalposts are already wider than college/NFL. What the NFL could do is adopted the wider hashmarks used in college, which creates more awkward kicking angles and increases the chance of missing.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Problem with that is that as much speed as there is int the NFL, wider hash marks would all but eliminate plays to the weak side.

9. Starman

Well that factor is relatively trivial and really only comes into play inside about 30 yards. If they went back to the OLD hashmarks it would have a major effect, but even the college hashmarks are much closer together than they were 20-30 years ago.

Narrowing the posts by 23 percent, and mandating that all FG attempts must be lengthened by 3 yards (which the 10-yard rule would do) would have a much more significant effect on FG accuracy.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

So if the NFL is the great game so many of you claim it is, why do you all want to fuck with it success?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's the same chorus I remember hearing opponents of the three point line and clock shot say when those features were put in college basketball in the 80s. Think anybody wants to remove those parts of the game today?

Just because it's good doesn't mean it can't be made a bit better.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe NFL fans are smart enough to realize the game can be improved. It's a concept some of the baseball fans on this site can't seem to grasp about their sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted