1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nfl overtime rule change

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2010.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4953182

The NFL will consider changing the overtime playoff rules so that both teams will get a possession unless the first team scores a touchdown.

I like the proposal except for the fact that it will only apply to the playoffs. I get that they don't want long overtime games screwing up their TV schedules, but I don't think that we'd suddenly start seeing a ton of long-OT games. I think it could apply to the entire season and maybe one game would screw them up.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

An unnecessary change.

If you can't win by field goal in OT, you have to make it so you can't kick a field goal on the last possession of regulation of a tie game, either.

I think the NFL would be better seved to worry about the high incident of concussions and the rampant use of steroids than some stupid change of OT rules.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BOOOOOOOO.
    Either play sudden death or a period of fixed time, like 8 or 10 minutes or a another 15 minutes. But to gerrymander overtime is pathetic.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What happens if there's a safety in overtime? They gonna write that into the rules, or are they gonna forget about it until it inevitably comes up?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or what happens if a team kicks a FG in OT and then recovers an onside kick? The other team still hasn't had a possession. Play on until a TD is scored or game over?

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

what is so friggin hard about playing a 15 minute OT period?
    If in the regular season it's still tied after OT then it's a tie.
    If after the playoff game is tied after OT you do another 15 or 10 or 5 minute quarter.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This is precisely the overtime rule I have been proposing on this board for years.

8. Simon_Cowbell

numbskull

9. Simon_Cowbell

That's the team that didn't get the opening possession scoring.

What is so hard to grasp?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

The NFL will consider changing the overtime playoff rules so that both teams will get a possession unless the first team scores a touchdown.

Hmm, let's see.
    The first team did not score a touchdown. Both teams did not have a possession.
    Is this game over or not?
    Or does it end as soon as the second team receives the free kick because then both teams will have had a possession?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And if so, what happens if the team that conceded the safety recovers an onside free kick?

Much like in the college game, you hand something of a significant advantage to the team that gets the ball second. It can kick a field goal to win the game on its first possession. The team that gets the ball first cannot.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

they want to eliminate "fluke victories."

OK.

Overtime kickoff. Receiving team fumbles in end zone, kicking team recovers for TD. Fluke.

Scoring team then kicks off. First play, QB throws a pick six. Fluke.

Scoring team kicks off. Receiving team runs it out to the 30, then fumbles. Fluke.

First play, the leading team kicks a wind-assisted 47-yard field goal. Fluke.

I guess we better change the rules that you can only win in overtime if you take a lead of more than 17 points, to eliminate the possibility of these fluke victories.

Jezus Fracken Keerist.

How about this:

1) Win your games in regulation;

2) Have a good FG kicker;

3) Have a good defense;

4) Teach your captains how to win the coin flip.

Do all this stuff, no problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted