1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Overtime Ideas for Competition Committee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Then whoever gets the coin wins!

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A tie is a cop-out. Fans can't abide ties.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Okay, the XFL free-ball idea doesn't have any takes. Guess I'm the oddball -- but that's cool. However, once a strategy is figured out, then the two quickest guys (and the worst hitters) will go head-to-head, someone will squirt the ball loose and a big guy will probably fall on it.

Actually, I like the 4-point idea for overtimes. Still a tie after 15 minutes. I REALLY like that. Seems a decent compromise.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Here's a problem with the four-point rule: What if you play the 15-minute overtime period and a team is up 33-30? Is it entered in the books as a 33-30 tie? I'm not opposed to the idea, but the bookeeping would problem.

Of course, I don't have a problem with the current system. Your team has guys paid money to play defense? Stop the other guys. Win the game.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No, then you won by 3.

6. Del_B_Vista

But the four-point rule requires you to win by four points, right? If you can't win by three points for the first 14 minutes, 59 seconds of OT, why can you win by three when it expires?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You only have to win by more than 3 on the first overall possession of OT.

8. Del_B_Vista

Then that's really just requiring each team get a possession, and that's not what was offered here:

9. Simon_Cowbell

No.

You score a TD on the first drive, it's over.

If not, any team can win with any score after that.

10. Del_B_Vista

So if Team A scores a field goal on the opening possession and Team B fails to score, it's over? That's requiring each team to have a possession, not a four-point rule.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Four-point rule ain't my suggestion.

Like I said, it would be ties galore.

12. Del_B_Vista

OK, I just took your initial comment to be following the four-point sub-thread that I was engaged in.

Oh, and to further drag this into the mire, supposed there's a rule that requires two possessions in an overtime session. If I score a touchdown on the first possession of the first-ever game to use that rule, I onside kick and take my chances recovering. Probably wouldn't work as well after that, but it points out the absurdity of demanding victories in games.

Draft saved Draft deleted