1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Overtime Ideas for Competition Committee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I really like the idea of the team taking the opening kickoff having incentive to be aggressive and go for the touchdown.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. My biggest issue with the NFL's overtime is that there is such a significant advantage to the team that gets the ball first. Win the toss, win the game... It shouldn't be like that.

I don't think anything is going to change, at least not in the regular season. The NFL is the most TV friendly game out there and they don't want to do anything that might fuck with that, not for the handful of times in a season that overtime is required.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Then you would get teams, backed up in their own end zones, taking safeties and hoping for better position on the free kick than punting the ball to the 40, and risking a quick touchdown.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The problem I've always had with the current NFL overtime is that it could be called "Golden Field Goal."

5. Simon_Cowbell

Yep.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I think overtime should end like soccer -- with a field goal kicking contest, ie a shootout. Two ways to do this. 1) Both kickers get to kick from extra point range to start, then move back to kicking from the 15 , 20, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 adding five yards to each kick until one of them misses what the other makes. To make it fair, there's defense, so there's a chance to block, and they both kick in the same direction.

2) Play it horse style. Coin toss. Winner can either choose yard-line or hash mark (loses chooses the other) and kicks first and you always kick with wind at your back. If he makes his kick, coin toss loser has to do same. If he misses, coin toss loser picks his own spot and tries until one of them makes what the other misses.

Now if that's not getting to the essense of 'foot' ball, I don't know what is!

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK, if that works, fine - you're giving the other team the ball with the chance to win with a FG rather than a TD, doesn't seem smart to me. But that's part of what I think would be great about it, the new strategy decisions.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hell, if you just take the FG off the table in overtime, it could work. First team to score a TD wins.

The problem is, you get two offensively challenged teams, that could take too long.

If the NFL cared about it being "fair" they would do what they do in college. Since that will never happen in a million years, they'll likely just stick with the way they're doing it now.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There's your answer. No kickers at all in OT.

Both teams get a possession but – as with college OT after the second go-round – teams have to go for 2.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Give that man a cigar.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Nah, if you allow a TD in OT, screw you.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Eh, screw you! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted