1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Overtime Ideas for Competition Committee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Then, you would have ties galore

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think so. 2 FGs will do it. It will probably never happen because it make the coach's job a lot harder & the strategy more interesting - do you kick a FG on your 1st possession at 4th & 3? 4th & 6? etc.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Play the entire 15 minutes. If they're still tied at that point, game over.

4. Guy_Incognito

Never going to happen - too much football, too much potential for injury. Many of these guys are done in the 4th quarter, to play a full 5th that regularly wouldn't get past the league or the PA.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Part of the problem with most of the OT solutions, and I give the NFL credit here, is that they're committed to 3-hour-ish games (well, except the little game this Sunday). They're not going to play full OT periods or go for anything that, once a year or whatever, will create some seven-overtime game that turns a 1 p.m. start into a 5:30 p.m. finish or, worse, a night game to end at 2 a.m.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It might if they get a 25% increase in their game check for true "overtime".

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's why it needs to be like college football, but not exactly like college football. Those two 7 OT SEC games were absurd.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the best idea out there. I don't see them ever changing it except maybe for the playoffs because they don't want the potential for the six overtime games that you sometimes see in college. The NFL does not want games running an hour long under any circumstances.

9. Simon_Cowbell

2 FGs would require... minimum... three possessions.

10. Guy_Incognito

so?

11. Simon_Cowbell

If three possessions is MINIMUM, that would make 4-4.5 possessions the average.

Ties galore.

12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I like the idea of giving each team at least one offensive possession, too, but I don't like giving teams the ball at a certain starting spot on the field, like high school and college. Why not just play the normal way, with kickoffs? Team A gets the ball first, drives down and scores, then kicks off to Team B. If Team B doesn't tie the game or take the lead on its possession, Team A wins. If it does tie the game, then it goes to sudden death.

Draft saved Draft deleted