1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Overtime Ideas for Competition Committee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Jan 27, 2009.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

After the chatter from Colts-Chargers, any thoughts?

I hate to admit it but I actually like the current system but wish there was a way for each team to get the ball once.

I abhor the NCAA version of overtime. Too high-schoolish.

My own idea, I believe, gets to the essence of the game itself and I think it would be the simplest and most enjoyable way to do it.

11 men on each team start at their own 30. Ball is placed along the 50, right at midfield.

At the whistle, the ball becomes live and the first team to secure possession of the ball "wins the toss" and gets the option.

Then it's sudden death from that point. First to score wins. At least that way, it is more 'active' than just a coin flip and adds competition.

Yes, it's a bit on the XFL/Braveheart battle scale but you cannot tell me that all 75,000 people in the stadium wouldn't be on their feet yelling and cheering. It would be a 'must watch'. Besides, the NFL makes the actual ticket-buying fan go through all those damn TV timeouts in the cold. Throw 'em a bone here.

Who would NOT love it? (well, aside from the NFLPA)

Your thoughts on NFL overtime?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd like to see each team get the ball at least once. After that, first team to have a higher score wins.

Problem I can see is that there could be more ties in the regular season with just a 15-minute period. You could get one team with a 10-minute drive for a TD, then the other team runs the hurry-up and scores to make it a tie. Maybe force both teams to go for two ...?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

My favorite suggestion is to leave it as is, but you have to win by 4.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't need to see an XFL scrum. Nothing wrong with kickoffs. Good special teams can get an advantage right away in OT, which I don't have a problem with.

Don't really have a problem with OT the way it is now. Every other solution is gimmicky, including both teams getting the ball. I don't want a 21-21 game turning into 42-38 after multiple OTs.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Make it sudden death with the requirement that both teams get at least one offensive possession. Team A scores a touchdown on first drive. Team B gets a series and scores a touchdown to tie it again. After that, it's sudden death. If Team A scores again without being stopped, it's over.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

For years, my simple fix is that the only way the team touching the ball first in OT can win on that first possession is by scoring a TD.

Barring that TD, OT goes as is.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If a team allows a TD on that first possession, tough shit.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm all for leaving it as is but I'm just looking for something that is 'football related' to determine who wins the 'coin toss' and 'gets the option'.

A coin flip is gimmicky and has nothing to do with the game. That's why I like the "whoever recovers the ball" idea.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like the idea of both teams getting a shot, sort of like at bats in baseball.

But not at the opponents' 30-yard line or whatever. Make it AT LEAST midfield, if not your own 35. Force an offense to do more than get one first down.

I could accept OT as is, with the caveat that each team gets AT LEAST one possession. After that, all bets are off.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Formulate it after the college model.

Start at the 50, no kick offs/ kick returns. No sudden death. To keep the game moving along you must go for a 2 pt conversion on the first touchdown. You had 60 minutes to win the game, and if you couldn't do it, oh well, better hope you can score two points.

This would make things more exciting, it would give us shorter OT's than college, and also make it more fair because each team would get the ball. We could also not have the game end as a tie.

Other weird ideas...

-A kickoff battle between kickers. Each kicker kicks a ball from 40 yards out, then 45, then 50, then 55 etc. First one to miss loses (assuming the other guy makes it) like a hockey shootout.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The 50 sounds good to me.

If you cannot pick up a first down, then you are faced with a 50-60 yard field goal.

Once possession is over, the other team gets a crack from the 50.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I actually like that idea, or the idea that you have to win by four points.

Draft saved Draft deleted