1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

If the Lions draft Pitts peoples heads would explode but I don’t think he’s lasting any further than Miami at 6

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've heard compelling arguments for the Dolphins taking Chase or Waddle.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

ESPN is reporting that it's a sixth this year, and a second and a fourth next year, for Darnold. Seems a tiny bit rich, but not overly so to me - Like, paying $1.25 or $1.10 on the dollar, but not outlandish. If you asked me what Darnold's future was, I'd guess more bust or the type of guy that goes to 10 more teams, each one trying to "fix" him. Rick Mirer logged snaps for five different teams, and was on the rosters of more. But there's a non-zero chance that with some weapons in Carolina and a better org, he's a decent QB.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Better receivers, better scheme, more stable coaching staff, no more New York media fishbowl, no more Gang Green dysfunction.

The other questions ...

How quickly does the line jell? Paradis and Moton were the only linemen who played for the Carolina Panthers last season. None of the signings were considering big time ... but, with offensive linemen, is that as important as fit, working together, chemistry and playing to strengths?

What becomes of Teddy Bridgewater? The way his contract is structured, dumping him saves them very little, if anything, against the cap. Does he get to compete with Darnold? Does he get dealt for anything the Panthers can get just to get his cap number off the books? Does he stay after the season on a much cheaper deal?

What does Robby Anderson think? Surely, Fitterer and Matt Rhule at least broached the idea with him ... his reaction - i.e., a positive one - could have helped Fitterer and Rhule pull the trigger.

Now ... what to do with the No. 8 pick. Because of the (excessively) mad scramble above them for what many think are 4-5 top quarterbacks, do the Panthers simply grab best available? Move down? Does the TE from Florida fall into their lap? Do they get a WR to help replace Curtis Samuel and give Darnold one more weapon?

Unless Darnold flops, there will be fewer excuses for Joe Brady and Rhule this season.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Darnold the latest in a long line of USC QB busts.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I haven't given up on Darnold. Remember, he no longer has to play under that googly-eyed incompetent head coach, Adam Gase.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sam, I think Carolina goes best available, and given the QB rush at the top of the draft, that could mean they get a guy who would go #3 or #4 in a "normal" draft. I do like this move more for them than trading up to grab one of the Top 5 QBs, by the way, if that was even possible for them at this point. It would have cost them a bounty, and I'm not sure if any non-Lawrence QB will be any better than Darnold as a pro.

GM, as time goes by, I just don't think there is much correlation between "college you played for" and "pro results." Like, plenty of All-Pro QBs have played for major programs and won national titles... and others played like, barely a step up from I-AA competition. I don't think it's comparable to like, college baseball, where some programs stress approaches or run pitchers into the ground and hurt a player's pro prospects.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's either best available or trade down. Could easily recoup a pick or three as some team lusts and overreaches for someone. Happens all the time.

This idea is a cut-rate version of doling out two first-round picks in addition to swapping positions in the first round in a few weeks and undoubtedly some second- or third-round picks in a few weeks as well as future years. Word is that the Panthers will pick up Sam Darnold's fifth-year option, which pretty much cap ties them together through 2022. So ... that Teddy Bridgewater at $22.9M this season and Darnold at eight figures next season.

It's almost a reboot of last season. If Darnold excels, focus on signing long-term. If not, he's on a one-year warning similar to what Bridgewater is on this season. Low risk with potential high reward. He's already gotten accustomed to the speed of the game, and has gotten through his rookie mistakes. Can he adjust to what Rhule and Brady want to do offensively, and can the receivers adjust to him? Can the line jell quickly and effectively? Can Christian McCaffery come back healthy and stay healthy?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It is pretty random, but it's also remarkable how some of the biggest college football factories haven't produced a great NFL quarterback in decades. To name four, USC, Ohio State, Alabama and Florida have probably produced a couple hundred NFL players among them this century and you can count on one hand the number of QBs they've produced who have done anything of note in the NFL.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is why I'm dying for Lance and not enamored with Fields and Jones. Those factories have turned out nothing in the past 10-15 yrs. Sure Clemson has produced Watson, but look at Mahomes, Josh Allen, Wentz, Jackson, Wilson, Big Ben, Brees, even Jimmy G, not from the huge schools (okay I'll concede Mayfield and Murray from OU).

Read one scout say that Mac Jones' extraordinary ability is..........his consistency. Jeez I just saw that with Nick Mullens, very dependable but once pocket collapsed, he was done. That's not worth 3 yrs of 1st rounders.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hope that Darnold succeeds, but last year was just not encouraging. Same brutal turnovers, staying in the pocket too long, trying for too much instead of taking the wide open dump off and too many injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted