1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I like Ryan, but the hire does seem less than appealing. Then again, it will at least create a buzz, something that's been missing in upstate NY for a couple decades.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We need to combine and make an offseason carousel thread.

Boom_70 likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We'll be captive in that carousel too, going round and round and round in the offseason game.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just started a thread on Billy Preston

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Would've been more impressed with a thread on Billy Ocean. This stands the test of time.

6. Boom_70

Indeed it does

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Keep control of personnel in the GM's hands and give him a good offensive coordinator and maybe it can work. Ryan's style certainly fits what the Bills have right now.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The problem with the Bills hiring Rex is that they're basically the same team that the Jets were when they hired him. Strong defense, good running game, lousy QB.

I think Rex would have been a better fit somewhere that had an established QB. I think others have noted, and I agree, that Atlanta is a situation where Ryan really could have thrived. They have all the pieces that would have played strongly into Ryan's skill set as a coach. With a good OC, ATL would probably win the South next season (damning with faint praise?).

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it, but it sounds like he wasn't going to get the Atlanta job. Buffalo is fine - he wants to coach.

10. bigpern23

Oh, I'm not saying Ryan should have passed it up. I'm saying I'm surprised the Bills didn't recognize that they have the same problems that plagued Rex in Jersey. I think Ryan is a very good coach, but I'm not sure he can do much better in Buffalo than he did with the Jets. I'm not sure who Atlanta is going to end up hiring, but I would have thought they'd see Ryan as a good fit.

11. Boom_70

I think Buffalo has a better group of players than The Jets had when Rex started. Rex has never had a D line like the Bills
    have now. Sammy Watkins could turn into one of the most dynamic players in the game.

12. bigpern23

That's fair (and the Bills have outscored the Jets by 71 points the last two seasons with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton leading the way), but he inherits the same problem in Buffalo he inherited with the Jets - mediocre to poor QB play. That's not something that Ryan has the ability to coach. And, unfortunately for them, the Bills are probably just good enough to prevent themselves from being in position to draft a Pro Bowl QB.

Perhaps Buffalo's defense will be as historically good under Ryan as the Ravens were, and they can ride it to a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB. However, the more likely scenario is that Rex continues to ignore/suck at coaching the offense, and the Bills win no more than nine games in a season over the next four years before Ryan gets canned again.

And, again, I say all of this as someone who thinks Rex is a talented head coach who should absolutely be on an NFL sideline.

Boom_70 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted