1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Offseason signings, etc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Feb 17, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, yes you are.

My last post on this(maybe). No favors were done for New England, if JC was the only team looking at Cassel I could see that, but there were other teams lining up to get Cassel. It's simply a trade that in theory benefits both teams. If anything an argument could be made that the pats did the Chiefs a favor by taking a lesser offer than what they received from Denver.

Did not use spell check.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, we can agree that no favors were done intentionally for New England, though there are some conspiracy theorists who think otherwise.

But in result, yeah, the Chiefs helped them out.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hey, if the Patriots are smart enough to foist their backup QB on some guilable party, more power to them. No one forced anyone to make the deal.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wilbon made a fantastic point a few months ago that maybe it's not the scouting these organizations do, but their ability to make a college kid into a great NFL player.

I honestly think if Palmer was a Steeler and Roethlisberger was a Bengal not a damn thing would be different in the Super Bowl count. Pittsburgh 2, Cincy 0.

It's the Rooney family winning these things. The Steeelers were never worth a piss until Dan started having a say in things. Then they hired a guy named Noll. Drafted a guy named Greene, and 35 winning seasons and four losing seasons later (or something like that).

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. There is a reason that the same teams seem to draft well each year. It's one thing to pick them, it's what you do after with them that's important.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

On that all three of us can agree. In particular, the Rooneys have done very well in picking their last three head coaches. Noll, Cowher and Tomlin were all very young when they were hired and none of them were showing up on short lists at the time, but you can't argue much with the results of any of the three. Just to be clear, I'm not putting them on the same level. Noll is one of the best ever. Cowher is a borderline Hall of Famer. Tomlin is a good one with a ways to go.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One last thought. There is just as much evidence to indicate Cassel can win in the NFL and contribute as there is that he's just a journeyman. More. He played every game of an 11-5 season and played well most of the time. Yeah, he was leading a team with mucho talent. But he got the ball to that talent.
    I'd rather have him than Sanchez or Stafford. Nothing against them, and they might turn out to be excellent pros, but they don't have Cassel's resume. Yet.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

On a related note, as Merril Hoge has pointed out, teams are giving much more money to players who have never played in the NFL, so in that context, Cassel's deal isn't that big of a risk.

Draft saved Draft deleted