1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Last mock draft I saw (which was a while back) had Fields as the No. 2 QB. If he's not anymore, that's fine, but a consensus is bound to form around the No. 2 QB.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Some good teams need QBs
    Stafford would be a cheaper option than Watson for Colts, Saints, Steelers, Patriots
    Lions should get a 1 plus

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's
    Nothing harder in sports than getting equal value when trading a top player. An OK if not great QB of 10 years standing is a top player IMO. Until Watson is dealt, nobody's gonna make Detroit an offer that isn't pure lowball. After that the market may improve.

5. Jake from State Farm

Schefter agrees with me if that means anything
    Stafford contract easier to absorb than Watson
    Lions said fair market value
    Might wait until draft weekend

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  6. outofplace

I brain cramped there, but I have been seeing Wilson ahead of Fields.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  7. outofplace

I don’t think the Steelers are going to be in on that. Seems like Roethlisberger isn’t going to retire, and I don’t see them cutting him. One thing that might help nudge him out is his buddies leaving. Vance McDonald already retired and I think Pouncey is done, too.

8. Jake from State Farm

The Lions have seen Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson retire prematurely because they knew they couldn’t win
    Now Matthew Stafford is requesting a trade because he knows he can’t win
    THAT’s why they’re the Lions

HanSenSE and Fdufta like this.
  9. outofplace

Yup. On the plus side, they should find a team willing to give up that first-round pick and more. He is signed for two more years and his cap number isn't bad for a quality starting quarterback. There is some talk of the Jets looking at him, too, but I'm not sure that makes sense. I think it would be better to either trade for Watson, draft Fields, or build around Darnold. In that last case, they could put off drafting a quarterback high until next year while they build other parts of the team.

Fair market value is, of course, a subjective thing. New England would be a terrible landing spot for him. The Patriots just don't have the weapons on offense. The Colts and Saint sare much better fits. Pittsburgh would also be a good fit with a receiving corps that is good even if Smith-Schuster leaves, but I just don't see it for the reasons I already mentioned.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So Bienemy has been the OC working under one of the best coaches ever and yet Josh McCown a current QB gets the same consideration for HC? So much for “paying your dues”.

Draft saved Draft deleted