1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Our best to her. RIP and Thank You. Say hello to Tom for all of us (OK, at least those of us who aren't WFT fans).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article248718210.html

There isn't much in the way of sources for this report, but this one does list the Jets as Watson's preference, apparently because he wants to play for new Jets Head Coach Robert Saleh. It seems odd because he wants to get away from the disfunction and losing in Houston, but the Jets have had their share of both. Miami probably offers a better team now, and it definitely offers more value for his contract due to tax and cost of living differences. That said, if Watson really has the Jets first and Dolphins second, New York has to get that done, right? How high would the price tag have to be to say no to Watson? Would it be worth the No. 2 overall pick this year, a first-rounder in 2021, and Darnold? Would it take more?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I think it will take more. Goodness knows if Houston is going to hit bottom, at least max out the draft currency in one's attempt to start over.

(Of course, given the direction Houston is going, a change in ownership and literally everything else might be in order. About the only positive you can really attribute to this franchise is that it hasn't committed crimes ... at least that we currently know of now.)

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If it takes more than that, even if you're not sold on Fields at No. 2, walk away.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Watson wants out as much as has been reported/rumored/speculated, then the Jets need not overpay. Darnold and the number two will suffice.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much value Darnold has in that trade. If you're getting the No. 2 isn't it to draft Fields?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That’s not getting it done.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is Fields even going at 2?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Schefter: Lions, Stafford expected to part ways.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Houston needs everything and are years away, so Darnold is a placeholder while they get players. Actually, the Texans would probably prefer getting multiple picks (need not be other ones) instead of Darnold, since O'Brien eviscerated their draft stock.
    If Houston HAS to trade Watson, then why make anything more than a bare bones offer? With his no-trade clause, Watson has almost equal leverage as his franchise.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. outofplace

I've seen mock drafts that don't even have him as the top receiver.

12. outofplace

At the very least, assuming the report is true, play the Jets and Dolphins against one another. The loser has to deal with Watson twice a year for a long time. That is certainly motivation.

Regarding Darnold, he does have some upside, but he needs to land in a good situation. Houston does not qualify for that.

Of course, if he doesn't go in that trade, the quarterback carousel spins even more. Maybe the Texans live with McCarron for a year or two while they rebuild. I'm sure the Jets would be looking to deal Darnold at that point to recoup at least some draft capital. I'm not sure what it would take to get him at this point, but I've mentioned before that the Steelers should be among the teams kicking the tires.

I truly hope they don't think Haskins is an answer. They just signed him to a futures contract a few days ago.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted