1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just a point of fact: Wentz was sacked 50 times.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Greatest Packers QBs of all time:

1. Bart Starr
    2. Brett Favre
    3. Aaron Rodgers
    4. Jay Cutler
    5. Lynn Dickey

Liut likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Must have missed it when I scanned the list. Thanks.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Odd to realize that if one made a list of the Eagles' top five quarterbacks, the guy who was MVP in their only Super Bowl win probably isn't on it. Foles had a great 2018 postseason, but does that put him ahead of guys like Jaworski, McNabb and Randall Cunningham? Van Brocklin and Jurgensen are surefire 1-2.

Batman likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wilson also bring a lot of those sacks on himself.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You might consider Hall of Famer Arnie Herber. He played halfback in the Notre Dame box formation the Packers played in the ‘30s, but he was the league’s best passer (the guy throwing to Don Hutson) and was selected as a QB on the all-decade team.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Jurgenson only started for three years in Philadelphia and only made one Pro Bowl. And he threw 63 interceptions the years he started. I would think that if you were only considering his career with Philadelphia you would have McNab, Jaworski and Cunningham ahead of him.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

What about Norm Snead? ;)

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I never watched Arnie Herber but I did watch Starr, Favre and Rodgers. I think that Rodgers is the best of the latter three. He is the best athlete of the three and as a result has made some plays the other two could not.

And Cecil Isbell, who succeeded Herber, was really good though he only played five years. the 1939 team won a championship in his second season but after that the Packers,while very good, were surpassed as a team by the Bears of the early 40's.

So I would go:

1. Rodgers
    2. Starr
    3. Favre (Farve ahd a better arm but Starr did not make as many mistakes. This is close).
    4. Herber
    5. Isbell
    6. Dickey

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Liut likes this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Metcalf and Lockett suck?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The lede of the first sports story I ever remember reading, by Dave Klein:

"Sometime Norm Snead plays quarterback for the Giants. And sometimes he doesn't."

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Rob Neyer had a fun book in the 2000s about baseball lineups, and the best player at each position for each team. Even though MLB had a 100+ year history at that point, you'd see some shockingly "just OK" guys at various positions. Also, in one of his annual books, Bill James noted how an argument about whether Mike Macfarlane was one of the best 100 catchers of all-time helped him decide to do them. (Excerpt here.)

Draft saved Draft deleted