1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why not? Contrary to popular rumor in some metropolitan areas, Charlotte has indoor plumbing and restaurants and winters that aren't thought of as brutal.

----

The Panthers' offense is mostly set. Figure they'll lose Curtis Samuel because of lack of cap room, talking about franchise tagging right tackle Taylor Moton, and perhaps Christian McCaffrey goes to Houston in the deal. They're still probably in better shape in terms of fewer holes on offense than the Dolphins or the Jets. Defensively, they need work but that needs to be more about a really young defense going through the reps, learning from the mistakes, improving and such given that Matt Rhule and Co. used all its draft picks last season on defense.

No, they're not a mere player or two away from the Super Bowl. Are you trying to claim that either the Jets or Dolphins are?

Finally, Deshaun has a no-trade clause, so he would get final say. If he doesn't want to go to Charlotte, we'll find out soon enough.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How is a kid this early in their career “hopeless?”

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Outstanding

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Brian Flores' consistently pulling him from games does nothing for a young quarterback's confidence.

But I'm not sure we have enough evidence to see if Flores isn't going to let him learn ... or if there's something he thinks he sees that indicates he doesn't have "it."

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The Dolphins damn near made the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick and a rookie at QB. They’re in a much better situation than Carolina, whose offer would bankrupt the future in picks and the present in McCaffrey.

But yeah, indoor plumbing or something.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Giving up 22 to get Watson is dopey.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If everything goes well Watson could be a top QB for another 12+ years.

McCaffrey’s sell-by date is about a year away.

sgreenwell and JC like this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Stafford 2-8 61 rating
    Rodgers 6-10 93 rating
    Brees 8-8 77 rating
    Eli 1-6 55 rating

Tua 6-3 87 rating

9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I blame most of Tua's issues on the fact that Chan Gailey is a fucking relic. Flores dumped him and actually brought in guys that can communicate with a young player.

I don't see the Dolphins making the move. They have a solid team with a shit ton of a cap room, a ton of picks and a young QB in the second year of a rookie contract. To trade for Watson you lose the picks and 1/3 of the cap room for his salary and then you use the rest of the cap room to get him skill players assuming they aren't going to mortgage the farm for a $35M/annual QB and then tell him that Myles Gaskin, Salvon Ahmed and Mike Gesicki are three of his top five skill players.

Having a good team and a QB on a rookie contract is like being a lotto winner. They won't be eager to give that up.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A running back is the easiest position to replace in football.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with this, that’s if you believe in Tua. There’s nothing more valuable in sports that a good QB on a rookie deal.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think people are underselling how bad of an injury Tua suffered at the end of his Alabama career. I'm not fully judging him until after year 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted