1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but when you are talking about professional sports teams their main "business" is to shake as much money out of their local communities as possible with sponsorships, merchandise, ticket sales, government subsidies/tax breaks etc. Finding a vehicle to help you reach an underperforming market for both teams seems like good business.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Albert Breer reporting Haskins to the Steelers! (Schefter retweet)

EDIT: Corrects source

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Are the Steelers giving up a case of iron city for him? Did Washington even ask for it to be cold?

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Good christ, Pittsburgh is adrift. They've waited way too long to find Big Ben's successor. The QBs who came into the league with him -- Eli and Rivers -- are now both retired and their teams have found their successors in Daniel Jones and Justin Herbert. Pittsburgh has waited too long and now is bargain-bin shopping for castoffs like Haskins. Fire Tomlin, draft a QB or trade for someone like Darnold or Watson.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If Washington hadn't already cut him, they would have probably offered Pittsburgh something to take Haskins off their hands.

Source: Ex-WFT QB Haskins agrees with Steelers

Then there is this line in the article on ESPN.com.

With his signing, the Steelers signal they're focusing on a future without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger -- either this year or soon after. The likely future Hall of Famer has one year left on his contract, but he hasn't yet determined his future with the team.

Why does this signal anything other than the Steelers need a third-string quarterback with Dobbs likely to leave as a free agent? For nothing, I guess I don't hate rolling the dice on Haskins, but I certainly hope the Steelers are going into this with very low expectations.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I believe that long ago, the Steelers passed on Marino because they had Bradshaw.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Tighthead and CD Boogie like this.
  9. CD Boogie

You could do a lot worse. The guy's going into his third year and he's been above-average on a largely mediocre team and the loss -- to trade or injury -- of Beckham and Saquon. He's comported himself pretty well. I'd rather have him than Darnold or even quite a few QBs with more experience.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to draft a QB of the future where they typically pick in the draft. And they have drafted qbs in the last five years, Mason Rudolph (3rd), Josh Dobbs (4th), neither turned out to be Tom Brady. - Ben was the last QB the last qb they took in the top two rounds.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He was above-average in exactly one category in 202o: Sack Yards Lost. Had a ton of those.

Every single stat he was below average. His QB rating was 30th out of 35 people ranked.

If Daniel Jones is the Giants' QB going forward the Giants are screwed.

bigpern23, heyabbott and sgreenwell like this.
  12. CD Boogie

Perhaps. But they have so many holes that I don't think upgrading at QB is a top priority.

Draft saved Draft deleted