1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Falcons really can't release him until after the 2021 season, but I'm sure they would trade him tomorrow.

Goff is an interesting case. I don't know if anyone in the league believes that he's an even competent quarterback without Sean McVay. It appears that the Rams REALLY like John Wolford and want to at least give him a shot to be their starter.

Has there ever been anything close to the QB movement we are likely to see in a month?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NFL should encourage the movement - particularly allowing QBs with more than 10 years in with a team to be moved with limited cap damage. The rookie wage scale has encouraged teams to "take a flyer" on some QBs in the first round that don't pan out, and you end up with possible contending teams unable to reach their potential because they lack a signal caller. And then you have veterans on teams that are ready for a rebuild/too old to make it realistic they'll still be playing when the team is expected to be good. It's a weird deal.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s taking all of the unamortized signing bonus money which makes the trades harder. You get rid of your starter in a trade and have to potentially take a huge hit the following year.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The NFL does not need to be the NBA.

Give teams who have a player on their roster a 10% discount on the cap if they resign the player to go along with compensation.

Sign a player for $10 mil, you get a $9 mil cap hit and the other guy gets a $10 mil hit. Pick your percentage, but these teams have money to spend. It's the cap that holds them back.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

Fuck it. Do a transfer fee like European soccer. That might help secondary football leagues survive for more than a year too.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

They are going to just eat $61 million in dead money if they cut him? Not a chance.

Edit: sorry it’s $65 million in dead cap between 21 and 22 with a shrinking salary cap in 21. Not happening unless the league changes the dead money rules.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do they think Reddit can overbid them to 12 wins somehow?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But I do applaud going against the grain. He's 180 degress from the "young, inexperienced white coach from a team that hasn't won anything" that seem to get HC jobs out of the bottom of a box of cereal.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Someone had a good line about the qualifications for HC candidates — they have to be young, white and have met Sean McVay.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it reeks of "we're gonna be terrible, might as well bite the bullet and hire a Black guy while we bottom out" that's standard in the league. I assume the better Black candidates wouldn't take their calls.

EDIT - I posted this last week:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    JC likes this.
  12. HappyCurmudgeon

Outside reports seem to hint that Leslie Frazier was already assembling a staff thinking he was going to get the job. They interviewed Bieniemy but I'm guessing once he found out that Watson wanted out either way he wasn't as eager to step into that trap.

Draft saved Draft deleted