1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network vs. The Cable Industry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, Aug 1, 2006.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

NFL Network is planning a comprehensive highlights show that will air at 11:30 p.m. ET on Sundays, and they'll replay it several times into Monday morning. I believe there will no longer be a PrimeTime show on ESPN because they'd be going head to head with NBC's pre-game show. NBC is going to do an hour before each of its Sunday night games. I hope to hell they don't spend the whole hour giving a BJ to the two teams that are playing in their game. That would be a waste. Hopefully, it'll be highlights of the day's games.

I agree NFL Network is still finding its footing. I like the way someone else put it -- like D&D. That stuff gets annoying. But they've made a pretty decent push to add more current content. They covered the draft, they're all over pressers, they've got four college bowl games, including the Senior Bowl. The owners are behind it, so it's here to stay. The cable companies need to accept that.

2. time warner sent out a message last week saying that the NFL network was going away on Sept. 3 and would not return until an agreement is reached.

3. I disagree with your asessment. They offer highlights without personalities getting in the way. They break news more often than ESPN does because they focus on football, instead of sports overall. All of their postgame coverage shows throughout the week blow away anything ESPN does. Plus, you can see each and every preseason game in its entirety, which is something you flat-out couldn't do before they offered. Some of the programming is boring, but living outside of my hometown, I love the fact I can see what I couldn't before. If NFL Network didn't offer it, it wouldn't be offered. Some of the stuff is boring like the training camp looks and combine stuff, but it's not for everybody, and it is for those who really want that stuff but couldn't get it before. They have improved by leaps and bounds since when they launched and I think will continue to improve.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

The NFL vs. The Cable Industry?

That like al-Qaida vs. Hezbollah.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I find it to be a bit like Pravda... state-run TV.

When shit goes down, I notice they don't talk about it. For example, you would never see them doing anything on Korey Stringer.

In fact, I find it to be even worse than Al-Yankazeera (Bob Raissman's name for YES).

Their coverage of the draft really, really blew.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yup, we got this on our time & temp channel.

This really pisses me off. No NFL Channel, no ESPN U and TWO time & temp channels. Plus my internet is running slower than W's thought process.

I don't think we have the extra HD tv station either. WOW. One more fucking HD TV station.

Draft saved Draft deleted