1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network not happy with Deion's take on Michael Vick

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by friend of a friend, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in sports and news.

Since it's about Deion's column, I went with here.

Feel free to move it, mods, if you think it belongs elsewhere.

The NFL Network is not happy about Deion Sanders' column on Michael Vick that ran in Fort Myers.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/COLUMNISTS41/70728036/1010/SPORTS

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Fault him for any number of other things, but The Neon One is reasonably articulate and always interesting. I can't imagine agreeing with any defense of Michael Vick on these charges other than a plea to give him his day in court before judging him, but I would have liked to have read Deion's column.

By the way, thumbs down to anyone who signs an exclusivity deal along these lines. I'd always insist on retaining the right to shop my stuff around if my primary employer has already taken a pass on using it. Did Deion need the NFL Network money that badly?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

friend,

Not going to move it. This board is perfect for this thread.

Liked Ed Reed's column.

I can't for the life of me remember which CFL player I was recently talking to who'd played with Sanders. But, the guy said he couldn't believe the difference between the private Deion and the public Deion. Said he was a great guy and a great teammate.

4. turnovers

turnovers Member

I'm praying more incidents like this pop up -- it's the only way to show people the NFL Network is not a media outlet devoted to all sides of an issue, since the NFL believes it can eventually broadcast all of its games and control all the coverage.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

God the NFL sucks.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

The column is still up at newspress.com. ... And while I agree that Deion seems to be a reasonably intelligent guy, the column in question is awful.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

8. txscoop

txscoop Member

Terrible column

9. Embarrassing.

He sets up a false dichotomy here - because we care about dogs, it means we don't care enough about people like Darrant Williams and Antoine Walker. Ridiculous. Would fail any logic course.

Then there's the rationalization that Vick is not the "ringleader." Deion's proof? A scene in "New Jack City," along with his gut feeling.

This is why athletes mostly make horrible media members. Ass-kissing and enabling.

This reads like something either a high school kid would write, or Scoop Jackson.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's a slap in the face of high school slackers everywhere.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

That's not the column in question. That's what he wrote last week. He submitted another one for this week that the NFL Network -- whose managing editor is former print columnist Thomas George -- rejected and isn't up on the site and I presume can't be found anywhere.

12. I cannot even fathom what that one had to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted