1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network ditching Comcast?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They charge you $5 for the sports package and then you only get the version that doesn't play Thursday night games. That will cost you $15 per month.

2. mb

mb Active Member

Considering I can find any NFLN game I want on the net in about a hundred different places, it's certainly not going to break my heart.

/might feel differently if the Donkeys weren't gonig to suck major ass this year

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think it's great when the cable providers fuck over the NFL every so often so that league can find out it's not nearly as important as it thinks it is.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Weird thing is, when NFLN debuted it was on the basic tier. For almost a year. Then last year, out of the blue, it went to the sports tier. It was bundled in there with the Big Ten Network, ESPN Classic and some of the Fox Sports regional channels, so I figured it was worth the extra cash.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That's a typical introductory deal ... "put us on the basic tier."

Comcast: "we'll do it for a year or two (or five), then reevaluate."
    Company: "OK"

Then that comes up, they realize they're going to lose revenue, and then they demand basic tier again.

It's a heist.

That was the fallout between Big Ten Network & Comcast (and a few others). BTN wanted basic tier. Comcast wanted to put them on sports tier. BTN said "we won't go to sports tier. It's basic tier or nothing." Because BTN essentially controlled all of the Big Ten schools' football and basketball broadcasts, they figured they could wait out the public pressure on the cable companies.

Eventually, the compromise was basic tier for a couple of years, and then bump it to sports tier. BTN turned a profit this year on per-subscriber fees from being on Comcast's basic tier.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Amen.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Another black eye for Comcast in my eyes? I just called to order the NHL Center Ice package for the playoffs and was told they didn't offer that in our region. So once they pull NFL Network from us next month, we won't receive any of the six channels they highlight on their sports entertainment package section on their Web site.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Where is center ice not offered?

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I did not see what Batman reported seeing on the screen recently, but it would not surprise me. NFLN exiting Bombast would be a blow, definitely.

I am wondering if anyone can explain to me how the sports packages on Bombast are set up: I found out that I was on an old package which included NHLN, and I called them to ask for MLBN, thinking I would then have both.

No dice. In the process of making the switch, I got MLBN, but lost NHLN.

I tried to get an intelligent explanation from Bombast, but that was less than possible. After a few minutes of negotiation, I was able to talk the Bombast rep to let me keep NHLN for the remainder of this season.

But I still think Bombast is the worst co. to take over the local cable operation (And yes, I know I am not alone in sharing that opinion).

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Once you have satellite (from either company), you won't go back.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Comcast is absolute ass. They excel at giving you less for more. Too bad satellite isn't an option at my place.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What cable company does this type of structure?

Draft saved Draft deleted