1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network — how do you play it in the TV listings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Nov 22, 2006.

1. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

We don't list anything that isn't available on the basic cable package from the main cable dog in town. Just picked up the SPEED channel, so now we list all the appropriate races where in the past we didn't.

Now, those of us that schill out an extra few bucks for the digital sports tier get the various Fox College Sports stations, but I'll be damned if I list Lehigh vs. Bucknell or the Pennsylvania high school class 5A playoffs.

When a local team is playing on an ESPNU, we'll list it, and we'll always get phone calls wondering why its not on ESPN.

2. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Is this a serious question?

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I hate this new format. I think it's bogus. I get the NFL Network but not the games. I taped the game only to have some junk on my dvr. I like my cable co. and not switching for 8 lousy games.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just another example of The Man keeping the bruhs down, right?

5. cubman

cubman Member

We list it. But for the sake of discussion, I'll mention another quandary I find when I do the TV listings that falls under the "sometimes people don't know what they can get" category:
    A statewide cable network, ONN (Ohio News Network), has carried several early Ohio State men's basketball games, but only on its Columbus-area feed that half our county gets and half doesn't. Last Monday, the Bucks weren't on at my office but I was able to watch them at home 25 minutes away.
    Inevitably, the people who don't get that ONN feed call us wondering why the Buckeyes weren't on. So last week, I typed a note after the listing saying "may not be available in all areas."
    I'd imagine this can also be a problem somewhere near Chicago, if a Bulls game happens to be on WGN's local feed and NOT the Superstation.

Draft saved Draft deleted