1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL MVP: Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, if a team can win at a .750 clip when you're not much of a factor, I think it diminishes your overall value. I think an argument can be made that Williams was the most valuable player in the league down the stretch, but he was off the radar for so long, the voters never picked him up.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fuck this bullshit. Phil Dawson -- most FGs in a season by a Brown EVAR!!!!

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's one spin on the Browns' failure to finish up strong. :D

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Manning threw eight TDs and 0 INTs in December and fumbled once all year.

Puhhhhhhhhhhhhlease.

5. Simon_Cowbell

As much as I think Peyton as a bad pick is lunacy, so is this.

In the Chargers' 4-0 finish, Rivers threw 11 TDs and only 1 INT.

6. Simon_Cowbell

CMON... you expect me to believe you watched every Colts, Chargers and Patriots game?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry to start up the Steelers threadjack again, but Gold deserves to be corrected on this one. Roethlisberger stunk in the Super Bowl, but he was Pittsburgh's best offensive player in the three playoff games to get the team there.

He completed 14 of 24 for 197 yards, two touchdowns and one interception against the Colts. He carried the offense when the Steelers jumped out to a 14-0 lead.

The previous week, Roethlisberger completed 14 of 19 passes for 208 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions, helping the Steelers rally from 10-0 and 17-7 deficits to beat the Bengals. He couldn't just manage the game that day.

In the AFC Championship game against the Broncos, Roethlisberger completed 21 of 29 passes for 275 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He also ran for a four-yard touchdown to put the game away late. By the way, Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker combined for 74 yards on 29 carries that day.

Roethlisberger has been pretty lousy this year. Part of it is the crappy line. Part of it is his own bad decisions. But give the man his due. The Steelers don't win the 2005 Super Bowl without him because they never would have gotten there.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Yep.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Led his team to the Super Bowl, yes. He didn't play well when he got there, granted, but he led them there.

Wild card at Cincy -- 14 of 19 (73.7 percent), 208 yards, 3 TDs
    Divisional at Indy -- 14 of 24 (58.3 percent), 197 yards, 2 TDs, INT
    AFC championship at Denver -- 21 of 29 (72.4 percent), 275 yards, 2 TDs

And keep in mind, the Steelers rode Roethlisberger's arm to early leads at Indy (two first-quarter touchdown passes and a 14-0 lead) and at Denver (two touchdowns for a 24-3 halftime lead) so it's not like they tried to shield him from having to make plays. Make no mistake about it, Roethlisberger got them there.

Also, if Roethlisberger doesn't tackle Nick Harper in the RCA Dome, the Steelers don't win that game.

p.s. Oops. Saw Goldeaston's post a couple pages back and began a retort before checking to see if someone beat me to the stats.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gold deserved the double-barrelled beating on that one, anyway, Oz. To be fair, it is a common mistake. I think a lot of people only remember the lousy performance int he Super Bowl and they hold on to the false impression that the Steelers won all year in spite of their quarterback.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Agree ... every single word.

You can't deny what Roethlisberger did to get the Steelers to that point. It's unfair to judge him on a few lousy playoff games.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They don't win it without Bill Leavy and his crew.

Draft saved Draft deleted