1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL MVP: Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Or maybe you just can't fathom that somebody off your team's rival won the award.

Somebody from an 8-8 team with LT? Um, right.

In that case, let's give it to Jason Hanson. Otherwise the Lions really would have sucked.

2. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Well, in retrospect, it is only Jan. 2 ... and best, but not only.

I like the Jason Hanson idea. He was really good in Mmmbop.

By the way, LT didn't exactly help Rivers a whole lot this year. In fact, he kind of sucked.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Rivers deserves a Pro Bowl nod, but he shouldn't even be in the MVP conversation. Both players had to carry their teams most weeks, so then look at the respective records. Manning was 12-4, Rivers 8-8, and at one point, Mr. Consistent had "led" his team to a 4-8 record. Rivers' value was minimal compared to Manning's. Rivers at least had LT (even at 75-80 percent) to take some pressure off him. The Colts' entire offense revolved around Manning. Addai was useless this season, and Dominic Rhodes is nothing more than a good backup. Finally, if you want to determine value, if Rivers never steps foot on the field this season, the Chargers likely approach 8 wins. If Manning never steps on the field, the Colts are lucky to win 4 games.

Seriously, bb, you are the only person I've ever heard mention Phillip Rivers and MVP in the same conversation -- and not be joking.

4. sportschick

He didn't suck nearly, nearly as bad as Joseph Addai.

I'm starting a Jason Hanson for MVP group on facebook. Who's with me?

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Destroys your point, which was valid.

LT was a shell of his former self this year.

6. sportschick

Even as a shell, he was better than Joseph Addai. FACT!

7. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Did anybody suck as bad as Joseph Addai?

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Shaun Alexander.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

You're joking, right?

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'll agree that the Colts had the worse rushing attack of the two (I would know, I had Addai on my fantasy team), but the Chargers didn't get the production from Tomlinson they expected and ended up ranked 20th in rushing. Peyton also has better (and more consistant) weapons to work with. And the Colts were ranked 11th in defense, while the Chargers were 25th. Unlike Indy, who really should have lost seven of their first eight games, San Diego has gotten some tough breaks...including losing a game when Ed Hochuli butchered that call.

I've seen every game from the two teams this season (NFL Sunday Ticket) and Rivers was the better QB. Not to say he's better than Manning, because he's not, but he had the better overall year from start-to-finish. Highest QB rating in the NFL, most TDs (broke Fouts' franchise record), and the best yards-per-pass ratio. Rivers played some great ball in the final few games to get them into the playoffs when they were practically eliminated. Now they have a home game against the Colts on Saturday. (fair or not, it's the NFL.)

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Numbers do not automatically equate to value. If Rivers was so valuable, how is it the Chargers were 4-8 with him at one point?

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Week 1: Jack Delhomme hits Dante Rosario as time expires for the game-winning touchdown.
    Week 2: Ed Hochuli makes one of the worst calls in NFL history, hands the game to Denver in close, high-scoring game.
    Week 12: Adam Vinatieri hits a winning 51-yard field-goal as time expires.

Two close losses to playoff-bound Falcons and Dolphins. Defense gets abused in each game by Ryan/Turner and Pennington/Brown respectively. LT musters 35 yards against the 'Fins and gets stood up on a fourth quarter goal line stand.

Traveled to London, almost mounted a comeback against No. 1 offense in football, fell short by 5. Lost in Buffalo during their 5-1 start. Had his worst game against No. 1 passing defense Steelers in Pittsburgh.

Draft saved Draft deleted