1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL MVP: Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So now Hoosiers have something for tomorrow's paper.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090102/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_ap_nfl_mvp_4

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm OK with Peyton, Turner would have been my choice though, Manning No. 2.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The way he and the Colts finished, it is hard to argue with this one. Also, he played well against tough defenses. His numbers were decent in the first game against the Titans. He was great in limited time against them this past week, but that was a meaningless game. Manning torched the Ravens early in the season and recovered from a slow start to have a very good game against the Steelers.

Turner was great, but I'd have a hard time putting him above Adrian Peterson, who had more yards and was much more of a factor as a receiver despite the Vikings' lousy quarterback situation.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm fine with it. As a Panthers fan, I would have welcomed DeAngelo Williams winning it. 18 TDs, 0 fumbles, 5.5 average per rush, and just unstoppable down the stretch.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Peyton, Peyton, Peyton! [/fangirl]

I really don't know who else I woulda voted for. Maybe Adrian Peterson or Chad Pennington (although with Chad it was more of the entire organization turning around). I admit to my bias in this situation, however.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As a Giants fan check out the difference in the Giants when Brandon Jacobs plays and when he doesn't. Objectively, Peyton is the most deserving player.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

What, no love for Larry Johnson? Tyler Thigpen?
    Their votes must have cancelled each other out.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No fumbles? Wow.

The fanboi in me wouldn't have minded James Harrison, but another Manning MVP was inevitable.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The only thing that probably hurt Williams is that he only had 522 yards rushing and three touchdowns when the Panthers got off to that 6-2 start, somewhat negating the "valuable" part of the argument. But man did he finish the season strong.

10. outofplace

The fanboy in me still hopes Harrison will get the Defensive POY, but I think Demarcus Ware is going to beat him out for that one.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Given the Cowboys' defense down the stretch with a playoff berth on the line, I'm not so sure about that.

12. outofplace

Good point, and I do think Harrison was the better player this year. But Ware has more sacks and he doesn't have another legitimate candidate on his own team like Harrison does with Polamalu.

Draft saved Draft deleted