1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL MVP - Brees or Rodgers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 2, 2012.

?

Who should win the NFL MVP, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers?

1. Drew Brees

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Aaron Rodgers

48 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Thanks tips.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

My point before is that for QBs that move into domes and get used to playing in domes 2/3 of the time, it could affect outdoor performance because they become more accustomed to a controlled environment.

However, if forced to adjust to being an outdoor QB, they can, as Brees' 2004 season (QB rating of 104ish, without looking it up) with San Diego demonstrates.

Outdoor QBs should have no such issue "adjusting" to playing indoors because indoor conditions are controlled, obviously.

So in a sense, an outdoors QB should have an advantage in that regard. If Drew Brees plays 10 straight games indoors, then goes outside, it's an adjustment. For Brady and Rodgers, playing outside is a week-in, week-out fact of life and switching up to playing inside for a game should not bother them at all.

And Marino, Fouts, Favre and many others have shown that once acclimated, playing outdoors is no detriment to successful passing.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So using this logic, Brees is actually hampered by playing in a dome then.

4. BrianGriffin

I wouldn't say he's hampered. I'd say it offsets the advantage of playing inside more often. I think it's accurate to say that Brees and Manning will not perform as well in a game played outside because they have to adjust to something they don't do often. But if they played outside all the time, they would be more consistent across-the-board.

I mean, Brees DID do quite well as an outdoor QB before he went to the Saints, right?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Brees stats would not be the same without 70% of his games in a dome, they just wouldn't. This does not mean he wouldn't be very successful outdoors it just means that ANY QB would have better stats playing 70% of their games indoors. This should be taken into account with Brees stats. This is what makes what Rodgers and Brady have done that much more impressive.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Did he have a historic season? Because that is what this thread is debating. At no point have I said Brees would not be a good quarterback if he played 80 percent of his games outdoors. But I'm confident he would not be better than Aaron Rodgers, who this year, had one of the greatest seasons in NFL history while playing 80 percent of his games outdoors. Rodgers had a better season this year even though Brees played in a controlled environment. There is no real metric anyone can point to that says Brees was better.

Again, but Brees in Green Bay and he's a great quarterback, just not as great as he is playing indoors. I don't see any way it can be argued Rodgers gets worse if he goes indoors. He's the superior player. He just happened to have a good backup who played great against a bad team which led the Dean of NFL writers and King of Convaluded thinking into stating that it forced him to reevaluate his MVP vote.

7. BrianGriffin

Brees stats in 2004 were better than his stats in 2006, 2007 and 2008 playing mostly indoors and on comparable teams. In 2009-now, he's been better, but that's because HE'S better, not because he finally figured out how to take advantage of the roof over his head.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He is better and playing in perfect conditions helps anybody. Please name on QB who wouldn't have better stats inside. Tebow doesn't count.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Found this interesting: Rodgers only played in three games this season against teams with pass defenses ranked in the top half of the league (Rams, Chargers and Chiefs). Brees played in five (Texans, Jags, Colts, Rams, Titans). Cumulative stats for each in these games:

Brees: 31.8 PA/G, 42.8 PC/G, 74.3%, 330.4 YPG, 12 TD, 6 INT
    Rodgers: 18.7 PA/G, 30 PC/G, 62.2%, 266 YPG, 8 TD, 1 INT

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lol yeah the Rams and Colts had awesome pass defense!

Maybe those rankings are based on how incredibly easy it was to run on teams too. God, what a worthless jumble of stats that was.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

agreed

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How about looking at the Rodgers vs Brees debate this way...

In the last 20 years, how many years would Brees have NOT won the MVP? I doubt it's a number higher than five (and I am just guessing).

Brees just had his career year when another great QB was having his career year.

Draft saved Draft deleted