1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL MVP - Brees or Rodgers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 2, 2012.

?

Who should win the NFL MVP, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers?

1. Drew Brees

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Aaron Rodgers

48 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

PK said today that Flynn's success Sunday actually could hurt Rodgers in the MVP race.

I disagree.

Thoughts?

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I say Rodgers by a hair. He won it Week 1 by beating the Saints and playing lights-out in that game

3. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Rodgers. TD-to-interception ratio is even more impressive than passing yards.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Rodgers played lights-out in every game. He threw for 45 touchdowns and six interceptions, and it could have been more if so many of the Packers' games weren't huge blowouts.

Brees shattered Marino's yards record, but he averaged fewer yards a pass than Rodgers (8.34 to 9.25). And he threw for 46 touchdowns but 14 interceptions. If the Packers left Rodgers in and throwing in blowouts the way the Saints did Brees, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

I think Rodgers made up for his only games with a quarterback rating of less than 100 (96.7 against the Raiders in Week 14, 80.1 against the Chiefs in Week 15) with a ridiculous Week 16. And here are his numbers against playoff teams:

Week 1 vs. the Saints: 27-for-35 for 312 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions
    Week 4 vs. the Broncos: 29-for-38 for 408 yards, four touchdowns and one interception
    Week 5 at the Falcons: 26-for-39 for 396 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions
    Week 12 at the Lions: 22-for-33 for 307 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions
    Week 13 at the Giants: 28-for-46 for 369 yards, four touchdowns and one interception

Rodgers also never had the kind of games Brees posted in losses at the Rams and Buccaneers (two touchdowns and five interceptions, combined).

6. Mizzougrad96

Agree with this...

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

When you throw 45 TD passes against 6 interceptions, in the face of 36 sacks, it just shows that you're carving up defenses every week. That 122.5 QB rating shines pretty bright, too.

Both QBs have been a joy to watch this year, though. And each would have great things to say about the other. Two quarterbacks, and leaders, that are very easy to admire.

8. I'd vote for Tom Brady.

It could be argued that Green Bay would have won division without Rodgers (see Flynn's performance yesterday) and same for New Orleans. Take Tom Brady away from the Patriots and what do you have? Half of Brady's INT's came from early in the season when he was forcing ball into OchoCinco to try and make him part of the offense. Once he stopped that - I'd stack his numbers against anyone.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.
    I was going to say Peyton's the MVP as well. No way do the Colts go 2-14 if he was playing.

10. Mizzougrad96

The Pats were pretty respectable when Cassel was the QB.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Manning and Brady had all-star casts every time they won the award, too.
    So let's not penalize Rodgers when his team is great. It's his turn now.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

This is pretty much the post I was going to make. Rodgers threw way, way fewer passes than Brees. The average per attempt is the one stat that really sticks out to me. However, I disagree Rodgers has been lights out every game. He's had a couple clunkers, and some entire halves of games where he's done nothing.

The TD:INT ratio is amazing for Rodgers, and after Flynn's performance, it's possible he would have tied or broken the TD record had he played yesterday. Both are terrific, but I think Rodgers gets it by a hair.

Who has looked better in the last month though? I'd have to say Brees. It seems likely they'll be going head-to-head for a trip to the Super Bowl. Should be a great game.

Draft saved Draft deleted