1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL messes with its shield

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Sep 3, 2007.

1. It doesn't, that was sarcastic ...

2. The fact that it doesn't use an odd swoosh in the L that went out of style 20 years ago. And it has straight edged serifs, instead of the round ones, again something more common today.

It's not "marketing, subjective euphemism." Anyone that has taken any recent design classes would classify this as modern. Flat out, the new logo looks like something developed in 2007, not the 1980s. The typography is cleaner and sleeker, another sign of modern design.

Do you know anything about design at all? I won't claim to know a whole lot but having taken a class or two on the subject I'm even able to recognize this.

Seriously, what bothers you so much about this new design? Do you actually dislike the design or do you just dislike that they "messed" with it?

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I like the new font, but I'm not crazy about the other changes.

I probably would have never noticed if it wasn't for this thread.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maybe you're right. The typography is "cleaner." Certainly more antiseptic.

The NFL brand in the Super Bowl era has been labored over for 40 years with that logo. It has been established.

And, some yokel does this, for, at best, subjective, subtle reasoning. And a paycheck about the size of Jonathan Ogden.

A big part of the NFL branding was that the old logo screamed "America," with the multitude of stars alluding so obviously to Old Glory.

And, the L?

You say 80s-ish.... I say stylized and unique.

All the uniforms (sort of like all the baseball stadiums of the 1960s) and coming closer and closer together in appearance and color scheming. Everything is some dark color shade.. with black thrown around as if poured like pepper from a shaker with its top yanked off).

The Chargers finally came to their senses this season and realized....Hmmm.... the 1960s were pretty fucking good. Though their numbers look like they fell off the NFL's new shield.

Everything seems to be compressing into some homogenous "book"... like a design version of the one that major league managers like La Russa and all those brainless minions are slave to. Everyone is becoming the same.

No characters. No character.

I guess I am excited.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It took me two looks to really notice anything. It's not like they added a letter or anything. I'll be able to live my life just fine.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, damn, isn't it clear?

I bet a bunch of people go buy shirts with the new logo. ::)

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

As someone who likes his jerseys as authentic as possible, I'd be pissed if I bought a new Chargers jersey last week and lo and behold they unveil the new shield this week, rendering the brand-new Bolts jersey a step behind ... at a cost of $220 bucks.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

One of the biggest reasons for this switch is that the official NFL vendors that do the smaller embroidered items... hat shield and shield on jersey ... are very unhappy having to try accounting for 25 stars in that small of a scale.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

They did so little, they needn't have bothered (though count me in on liking the old one, if only because it looked hand drawn). 10-1 says most papers use the old logo often, because you can hardly tell the difference. Hey, I've seen the old NHL logo used, and on that one the letters go down to the right rather than up to the right. Plus the color is different (was orange/black, now silver/black).
    At least the NFL didn't change its name to FPS (Football Professional Subdivision) or something.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

In baseball, the AL and NL have simplified "secondary" logos that seem designed for reproducing better on a small scale, such as inserted art in newspaper sports sections.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

That's one of my biggest pet peeves. In a profession bound on accuracy, why do we see the swinging-bat Oriole in local papers these days? Unbelievable.

(The Oriole is an exaggeration, but I've seen other teams who changed their logos four, five years ago put in the paper.)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And a logo developed in 2007 would be great . . . for a league developed in 2007.

We embrace throwback stadiums, throwback uniforms . . . but demand a "modern" logo that identifies a league with 80+ years of tradition?

When Mercedes-Benz changes its logo --- or the Yankees, as was mentioned earlier --- then maybe the NFL can be justified in screwing with something that works.

Draft saved Draft deleted