1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL messes with its shield

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Sep 3, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, where's the black and teal?

It's just another way to get the diehard fans to pony up more c-notes for new "authentic" gear. Nothin' more, nothin' less.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, Simon, why is a minor change in the NFL logo worth getting excited about?

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I'm not sure there is a reason. It might not have been the best use of the NFL's time, but it definitely wasn't a horrendous use, either. This isn't like if the NBA were to suddenly start using the Air Jordan silhouette on its logo.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Seriously, who gives a shit? It's the logo of the league. It's largely unchanged, and a lot of casual fans probably won't even be able to tell the difference.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I really detest the element in upper management that litters the corporate culture in this country. This pervasive element (the upper levels of which don't know pigskin from pig shit) fucks around with something that works, just so they can justify their jobs' existence.

I've seen it WAY too much where I work.

Also, there is a lack of respect for history.

And, why get excited about it?

Well, I'm not excited, but I will use the vernacular.

Why get excited about ANYTHING in sports? It's ALL worthless in the grand scheme, right?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think if you are making six figures as the marketing head of the NFL you have to do something to justify your existence. I think the "new" logo looks like a third rate MMA logo.

Next- the NFL will dump the orchestrations for NFL films and use "house" music and change the name of the Ice Bowl game to the "Chill" Bowl.

Just wait til they sell the name of the Super Bowl.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

SO are your posts, which is why they don't excite me.

8. Ouch, that burns.

As for the logo, I like the changes. It's more modern and updated. I could never stand the swoop on the L, although I think the F was better in the old version. I don't have problem with it or see why some people have their panties in a bunch, unless the NFL wasting tons of money on these changes. Then that's bullshit.

9. Simon_Cowbell

What's more modern about it...?

That is the sort of loaded, marketing, subjective euphemism speak that I hear from upper management way too often.

10. Simon_Cowbell

How?

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Maybe the NFL's marketing department had a brain lapse and thought they were working for the NHL, where, of course, nothing is sacred.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I still want to know why they had to go and fuck with Nacho Cheese Doritos. :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted