1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL: Leave the purses at home, ladies (and no more seat cushions, either)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 13, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-philadelphia-eagles-purses-banned-nfl-games,0,1504372.story

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, I guess that's the last NFL game I'll go to. Without a small backpack for kids, you can count me out.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

NFL football sucks live. I took a girlfriend to a Seahawks game years back and we both commented on how much better it was on TV. Unless you have awesome seats, the game is kinda boring. She hasn't been to a game since and I have only been to one.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

way too much dead time, players standing around doing nothing waiting for the whistle.

Parking is a bitch in many places, winter weather can suck and cost is prohibitive.

Almost every person who can afford to go to an NFL game has a large screen HD TV at home. So much better.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I've only ever been to Seahawks Stadium and the Kingdome and parking is/was a bitch at both. I'd rather chill at home and watch the game any time.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I guess that's what separates New Orleans from most other NFL cities. The game-day experience for Saints games is tremendous.

Parking is convenient, despite being downtown, there are a lot of good places to eat close to the stadium, it's a fairly easy walk to the Superdome, the atmosphere inside the dome is always electric and after the game you're just 15 minutes from the French Quarter.

It can be pricey, but I love taking in at least one game live with my son every season.

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't think I have ever disagreed more with anything posted on this site. I live in Milwaukee, so Lambeau is the home game, but I've been to Packer games, in order of experience:

Seattle (Fail Mary)
    Atlanta
    San Diego
    Minnesota (Favre's 420th TD)
    St. Louis

I've had a tremendous time at every single one, and sat in a shit seat every time.

Adding Dallas and Cincinnati this year and cannot wait. I love live NFL and how the surrounding areas come to life for games.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Cincinnati isn't likely to thrill you, and I say that as a Bengals fan.

I'll blame my ex-sportswriter jadedness a little, but I also think the live NFL experience is way overrated. Sure, exceptions would be iconic joints like Lambeau, playoff games, maybe big regular-season night games. But the overall experience is inconvenient, expensive, and filled with drunken idiots. I'll take my living room, where I'm the drunken idiot but a cheap and easy one.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This whole bag thing may well have a security-related reason, but the NFL's greed of the last 25 years means the strongest possibility is a concessions money grab.

But I don't care because if I never go to a game again it will be too soon.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Haha. Try a Redskins game sometime. The surrounding area is awesome!!!

I don't see how the experience in Seattle can be all that bad. I've been there and it looks like a great place to catch a game. Plenty of pre- and post-game spots. As long as you're not out in the middle of nowhere (like the Skins), it shouldn't be too bad.

New Orleans wouldn't suck, either. Dallas has the fancy new stadium, but there's nothing else there.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Six Flags over Texas!

But yeah, I took in three Texas Rangers games over the course of four days a couple of years back (Rangers Ballpark is right next to JerryWorld) and was shocked at the lack of eating and drinking options within walking distance of the stadiums. Not counting hotel bars, there was a Mexican place and a Texas Land & Cattle steakhouse, and that was about it.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Yeah, the pictures of the area aren't too flattering. My hotel is less than a mile from the stadium, so I'll definitely be doing the tour of Jerry's World on Saturday, but I plan to spend the rest of my time (except the game) in Dallas and away from Arlington.

I was told some of the places I went were shit, only to have a great time. The Metrodome is horrible, but I still had a blast at the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted