1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL laying off 150, possibly Steve Sabol of NFL Films

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jrydun, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jrydun

jrydun New Member

Didn't see posted, apologies if I missed it.

Monday is the deadline for NFL employees at the league office in New York, the NFL Network in Los Angeles and NFL Films in Mount Laurel, N.J., to accept the buyout package the league offered last month.
    The league is cutting a total of 150 jobs at those three operations. According to sources, they aren't going to come anywhere close to reaching that figure in buyouts. Which means there will be layoffs. The league, which is using the struggling economy as an excuse for the buyouts and layoffs, even though it is making lots and lots and lots of money, already laid off almost 10 percent of NFL Films' work force last March. The league's severance package for layoff victims is an embarrassment. They are offering just 1 week of salary for every year of NFL service, plus 50 percent of the employees' season performance bonus, which is a minimal number.

A good number of the job cuts are expected to come at Films. The league, which clearly is trying to phase out Films, even had the audacity to include Films president Steve Sabol on the list of employees who are eligible for the buyout. Sabol and his father Ed founded Films 45 years ago. The company has been instrumental in making the NFL the immensely popular - and profitable - product it is today. Steve has been more important to this league than Paul Tagliabue ever was and Roger Goodell ever will be.

* Eagles general manager Tom Heckert wasn't part of the club's scouting contingent that made the trip to Mobile, Ala., this week for the Senior Bowl workouts.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20090123_Paul_Domowitch__Westbrook_needs_a_running_mate_with_Eagles.html

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: NFL laying off 150, including Steve Sabol of NFL Films

Umm, the story says Sabol is eligible for the buyout, not that he's getting laid off.

You got proof of that?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If NFL Films, the greatest PR agency in the history of PR agencies, is phased out, will the NFL Network give special thanks to it during every telecast for the lessons learned from it and implemented?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There can be no doubt.

5. jrydun

jrydun New Member

I'm purely posting this article as I've not seen it posted anywhere else yet. I'm not making any claims. Just wanted a take on this.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Moved and seconded. George Halas once called NFL Films "the keeper of the flame." Without it, the league would have had newsreels and scattered tape clips for highlights for the past 45 years. Instead, they have a trove of brilliance, albeit following the NFL party line.

7. jrydun

jrydun New Member

There.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucking Buckweaver. Always bullying the newbies.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Why would they want to get rid of NFL Films?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Had to be done. Sabol getting laid off would be a huge fucking cut -- and there is absolutely no indication that's actually going to happen. Maybe it will. I hope not. I love everything about NFL Films, from its origins to now. What a great history.

11. jrydun

jrydun New Member

I don't think they would get rid of NFL Films. It's 150 employees which include a range as high up as Sabol.

edit- I know Ed Sabol founded NFL Films, but as controlling as the NFL is in the usage of its name, I assumed the NFL owned NFL Films. Is this the case or does Steve Sabol have a controlling interest?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

This wouldn't have anything to do with trying to prop up the NFL Network now, would it?

Draft saved Draft deleted