1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL investigating alleged harassment of female reporter in Jets locker room

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Sep 12, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Should she have handled herself better in the past? Yes

Does she use her looks to gain veiwers and an edge in interviews? Yes

Should the players have treated her with more respect? Yes

Should the coaches have behaved better? Without question, yes.

Is anyone here able to be blame free? No

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Unfortunately, yes, this is the bottom line.

I'm going to disagree with you here. I think there are some people - primarily in television media - who genuinely believe this statement is true, but it's not. You will never find a member of the print or radio media showing up at a work assignment dressed like this woman, or dressed like Erin Andrews frequently dresses, and the truth is 99 percent of female broadcast reporters don't dress that way either.

And most of the female broadcast reporters I know cringe when they see a woman dressed like this.

It's acceptable to certain employers, employers who are clearly trying to leverage looks in the most crass manner possible to draw the Big Lead and SportsByBrooks demographic. There's nothing per se "wrong" about that, but it's not professional by the standards of most professionals. Is it acceptable? Yes, because their employers accept it, but it's not professional. It's simply not.

I'd cheer the first team that says, "I'm sorry, but this is a professional environment and you're not dressed professionally," but I don't expect that to ever happen.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Do we know if that's the outfit she actually wore?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the over/under on how many ways this thread finds to say "She was asking for it"?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jet beats now have egg on their face. Yesterday it was a funny story. Now its a sexual harassment story. Should be fun to watch them walk it back.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's a random picture of her, not 'the' picture of the day in question.

To Jim and Lugnuts points: Yesterday I'm near the sidelines before an NFL game, and there's a TV reporter standing nearby, a young woman from the local affiliate, maybe 10 feet from some players. Waist up (camera view) she looks professional...tiny blazer over a tshirt. Waist down? Leggings so tight you could tell how long since she waxed. High high heels that had to be sinking into the turf. Add forty tons of hair she kept flipping back and forth.

And of course there were countless other media people in the area, but who gets noticed as the poster girl for 'how these women dress'? The leggings girl.

But bottom line, she (and everyone else out there) has a boss who can say, 'hey, not cool,' or 'you look great!' That is not the responsibility of the NFL or the players. The NFL and the players have a responsibility to act like professionals, and provide an environment where others can act like professionals, if they choose to do so.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The story is confusing. Did the Jets really try to run into her during pratice as the lede says? Or were the leering coaches/players really just throwing passes near her?

Why did a reporter try to see if she was OK? Because she was knocked down? Because she is unused to attention from men?

Her tweet from the locker room sounded like something any female in the locker room would post, not something that indicates she was being especially harassed.

Sounds like the boys were being boys. Sounds like they crossed a line. Just not sure from the story what line it was.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wonder if Bertrand Berry felt sexually harassed at Super Bowl Media day.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm traveling, so can't write more now. But I don't think that was her outfit on this occasion. She was in a white tank top and jeans.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He probably feels cheated. She doesn't even have the tape measure around the biggest part of the bicep.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mediator

Mediator Member

If the Jets or NFL issue a press pass, they have an obligation to make sure that person is treated as a reporter and follows the rules on the back of the credential. In this situation, Sainz did not act inappropriately in the Jets facility and was there to interview Mark Sanchez. Jets PR reps were on the field during media availability and in the locker room and did not intervene.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hey, Lisa Olson went through hell 20 years ago so Miss Mexico can play hoochie on the sidelines without fear of sexual harassment.

Draft saved Draft deleted